Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

madonna, happy, katemas in NJ?

From: jessica@athos.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1991 14:55:50 -0800
Subject: madonna, happy, katemas in NJ?
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

RE: talk of madonna:

    I've never been much of a madonna fan. Not so much because i
didn't like the music but because i didn't like the publicity much,
and what i *did* hear of the music seemed very "pop"ish and not really
my style. _HOWEVER_, when i saw the movie "A Close Range", I was
*very*very* impressed with the song at the end. It is by Madonna - i
don't know the name. I thought it was very good, very appropriate for
the movie, the tone, the feel, was right. I was surprised that it was
madonna. It didn't make me rush out and buy her music, but i keep it in
the back of my mind, that i was impressed.

RE: Is happy a kate wanna-be?

    Well i had the opportunity to meet happy rhodes in person this
past weekend. She is very upset about what's happened on gaffa, she
feels very responsible. I tried to explain to her that she shouldn't
feel that way. *she* didn't do anything to aggravate people here. her
*music* didn't do anything to aggravate people here. And besides,
people here _can_ be difficult, admit it :)

   Anyway, she very definitely does *not* want to be "just like kate".
She has certainly been influenced by Kate. Kate is one of her favorite
artists. But she justs wants to make her _own_ music.

RE: happy is boring.

    I have no idea what songs were on the tapes people got from
vickie. But i do know Wapraint, and I do know the 4 previous albums.
*I'd* say that there are some moments on Warpaint that are brilliant
and beautiful. I'd say that overall i find it to be a wonderful album.
But i'd also say that i woudln't have the same admiration that I do
for Happy without having heard the 4 earlier albums.

    There are songs here that i really think are fantastic. She does
some very imaginative, creative things with her vocal arrangements.
For those of you who know it, i just love the way she does "Know i
don't want to hear it anymore".  Someone said "nothing new here" but i
just can't agree. Perhaps you have heard people do this before? I
haven't heard anyone do it quite like this. It isn't any one thing
that i tihnk is new here, it's this combination. I've heard good vocal
arrangements, i've heard beautiful voices, i've heard good music, i've
heard combinations of the above, and Happy's music is one combination
that for me really stands out.

RE: happy's lyrics?

    One person pointed out (was it you woj?) that the lyrics are
pretty good and maybe we should make more note of that. DEFINITELY.
Perhaps my very favorite part, no, second favorite. Most favorite, i
love her voice. But second to that, I love the lyrics. I tihnk most of
the lyrics are great. I've managed to get one person i know wanting to
hear her music just from telling him the lyrics to "Phobos". What a
brilliant song! the double meaning of the moon Phobos, and phobos
meaning fear is just done wonderfully.

    Well enough of that in this forum.

RE: Kate parties.

    Hey! i'm in New Jersey too. I'm surprised woj is the only person
in the NY area interested in having a party. Well, I'm interested too.
I'd probably be able to host one, if people were interested in coming?
I don't have much to offer in the way of rarities - i have "The whole
story" "TSW" and "live at hammersmith" videos, i have small collection
of kate-stuff - interview cd, TWW picture disc, some homegrounds,
etc.. but not a whoel lot. But still i'm willing ot host a party if
anyone in this area wants to come!!!! I'm actually very close to
princeton, NJ.

	   		jessica
--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||