Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: vickie is happy (well, not really)

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 14:26:31 -0800
Subject: Re: vickie is happy (well, not really)
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Shane wrote:
>>I found the similarity between Happy and Kate striking

Jon replied:
>I still don't see more than a passing similarity in Happy's higher voice.

That's 'cause you know KaTe's voice too well.  I don't know how many times
I've been listening to something by Happy and had a friend walk in and ask
what Kate Bush album I was listening to, but it's happened almost as many
times as people walking in and asking what Gabriel album I was listening
to when I was playing a Marillion (or Fish) CD.  I would never listen to
a song and wonder if I was hearing KaTe or Happy, though I've certainly
caught the similarities, especially when I first started listening to
Happy.  Same thing with Fish though I've never thought he sounded much like
Gabriel.  That doesn't mean the similarities aren't there, though.  I've
even had people (two, as I recall), when told that they're listening to
Marillion and not Genesis/Gabriel, ask, "Oh.  Was Gabriel in the band?"

[wrt call and response]
>Anyway, I can't think of any examples of Kate using this off the top of my
>head - what were you thinking of?

"What could he do?  Should have been a rock star,
  	But he didn't have the money for a guitar.
 What could he do?  Should have been a politician,
  	But he never had a proper education.
 What could he do?  Should have been a father,
 	But he didn't even make it to his twenties..."

Okay, so I might be hard-pressed to come up with other examples...;-)

Jeff
- --
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu          |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |

------- End of Forwarded Message