Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: decwrl!inetgw!decvax!inferno!shane!shane@uunet.UU.NET (Shane Bouslough)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 11:40:23 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough)
Subject: Re: vickie is happy
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 19:40:15 GMT

	jondr@sco.COM (Vole Lotta Shakin' Going On):

>> Happy's music is absolutely nothing like Kate's.
>
> Then I suggest you cease referring to her as "the closest thing we have to
> an American Kate Bush."

I'm not sure who wrote the first part of the quote, but I beg to differ.
I found the similarity between Happy and Kate striking, indeed, it's the
reason I bought all Happy's stuff. The epithet "the closest thing we
have to an American Kate Bush" is pretty good, I wish I'd thought of it :-).

>>Vishal writes:
>>> I am also tired of the endless postings by recent Happy convertee
>>> basically saying "I just got my Happy tapes and she is like *AWESOME*.
>>> I feel *so* cool now that I am a Happy fan.
>>
>>This is so *unbelieveably* unfair!!!! What a rude thing to say! Have you
>>never heard music that you liked so much that you wanted to tell everyone
>>about it? Those people who have heard Happy's music and do like it are
>>only expressing their opinions. To say that the people who are saying
>>they like what they hear are only doing so to be "cool" is an insult to
>>them and to Happy (a fellow Katefan, remember).
>
> Chill OUT!
>
> I think what Vishal is saying is, "please tell us WHY you like it rather
> than just saying `it's too cool, buy it now.'"

The similarities that immediately come to mind are the vocal range,
the use of question/answer techniques where one (musical) phrase is
high pitched, the other low, the use of uncommon/unusual musical ideas
(i.e., not just 4/4 thumpa-thumpa music), and poetry based on personal
experience.

Thus, if you like those aspects of KaTe, I can't see how you would fail
to like Happy as well. Now that I've given some reasons WHY I like it,
I can say `it's too cool, buy it now.'

I'm surprized at the posts here that say "I listened to some Happy stuff
and I just don't see what the big deal is." I know people who find KaTe
too "screechy" as in Violin Song. They catch on eventually though. Give
Happy a chance, she's golden, just as KaTe is.

--
Periphonics Corp.  | Shane Bouslough is: shane@inferno.peri.com    Ride Bike!
4000 Veterans Hwy. |                 or: ...uunet!mcdhup!inferno!shane