Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: aaron@minster.york.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 03:26:30 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@ukc.ac.uk

From: aaron@minster.york.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Time signatures

Jon Drukman writes:

>The 4/4 thing I can't answer, because Vickie only gave me a narrow sampling
>of Happy's stuff, and none of it was in anything other than 4/4.  Actually,
>there might have been a 3/4 in there, but that's not exactly groundbreaking
>rhythmatic insanity, like Sat In Your Lap (12/8 in the verse, 10/8 in the
>chorus).

I think the time signatures for Sat in Yout Lap may be the other way around.
I will have to listen to it to be sure. This is not rhythmic insanity though.
Folk music tends to vary from rigid rythms, for example I have an album by
Kate's collaborator Donnal Lunny which includes a song in which different
instruments seem to be using their own, changing time signatures. Rush and
Tull love changing signatures, sometimes almost every other bar.

Credit where credit is due. Kate bush is not particularly revolutionary in
a musical sense, is on occasions, a little off beat, and certainly more
worthwhile to listen to than the majority of things in 'The charts'.

Flame me if you like.

Aaron
aaron@uk.ac.york.minster

sig: 13/8 (always an interesting one)