Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.com (Dan Welch)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 10:08:14 -0800
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

lawtonj@project4.COMputer-science.manchester.ac.UK (Kaleidoscope) writes:

>>Say someone here touts Artist X as the greatest thing since Kate Bush (in
>>that ever so useful hyperbolemic style).  A friend tells me that Artist X
>>sounds like someone abusing a chimpanzee with a garden rake.  Is it not
>>fair for me to point out my friend's opinion when explaining why I have
>>not rushed out and bought the new Artist X release?

>But hearing that would make me want to investigate - if the two views are
>that extreme then there is likely to be something to the music that causes
>such violent opinions. I tend to avoid stuff that is mundanely described by
>everyone as OK -

I think the point missed here is that the anti-Happy factions are not really
anti-Happy -- in fact, they (I should say "we", because I'm on that side of
the fence) for the most part have no opinion of her music at all.  There was
just a general discontentment with seeing so many messages about her.

>From what I've seen, opinions of Happy are easily dividable into two
catagories:  the frothing-at-the-mouth kind (that should be reserved for
Herself alone :^) ), and the scrunched-up-face-what's-the-big-deal kind.
This makes me hesitant to try it, because EVERY artist has his/her/their
die-hard fans, and I tend to discard these people's opinion's immediately,
because they cannot be objective in re the artist.  But what does everyone
else think?  For instance, in KaTe's case, non-Love-Hounds are usually
saying "She is so weird", or else "Wow, that's really inventive".  I don't
know ANYONE who has a mild opinion concerning Her, and this tells me
something, or would if I didn't already recognize her genius.  But in
Happy's case, there have been mostly yawns outside of the die-hard camp,
and this isn't encouraging to me.

p.s.  I finally got my workstation -- and I'm looking foward to the color
gifs!!!!!!!!!  Right now I'm having to get by with Paulina P. -- a poor
substitute for Her (no smiley).  Does anyone have Siouxsie Sioux gifs?

| Daniel Welch			      | "Kate Bush is the sort of performer   |
| Tandem Computers, Inc.	      | for whom the word 'superstar' is      |
| Austin, TX, USA		      | belittling."			      |
| dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.com	      |		Mike Davies, _Melody_Maker_   |