Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

front row or die

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 10:36:11 -0800
Subject: front row or die
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

IED enlightens the disciples:
>    About the concert-ticket-buying problem, IED consulted with a couple
> of hardened dealers in the L.A. area, and both told him that, alas! there
> really doesn't seem to be any good way of ensuring the snaring of decent
> tickets. One's best bet, apparently, is still to wait in line (or stake
> out the area from a legal distance) hours to days ahead of box-office
> sale-time. IED may be getting too old for that sort of thing--unless
> some of us could get organized and arrange to alternate graveyard shifts,
> etc...?

unfortunately, the satanic ticketmaster overlords (did you know that
ticketmaster bought ticketron, so they have a virtual monopoly) often
prevent the venue's box-office from opening 'til a few hours after
ticketmaster starts taking phone orders -- so even if you're first in line,
you may have missed all the best seats.  and, of course, ticketmaster
will not tell you your seat locations over the phone -- these people are
*scum* (they are now charging 25% of the ticket price in fees in some
states!!!)

the best bet is to get on the venue's guest list, but you need press
status, a connection with the record company, or a hefty bribe to do
this...

obviously, i would be deleriously happy even in the back row at a KaTe
KoncerT, but if we could get an 'in' in at least one city, and get a block
of really good seats, you *know* i'd be there come hell or high water...

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com --
	"a woman drew her long black hair out tight
	 and fiddled whisper music on those strings
	 and bats with baby faces in the violet light
	 whistled, and beat their wings" -- T.S. Eliot