Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brevity is the essence of wit..

From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 16:05:01 -0800
Subject: Re: Brevity is the essence of wit..
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

bullroar@darkside.COM (Mark Kraft) writes:

>I'm quite sure that we all like lots of muscians, and that is quite an
>admirable quality to have..  But, might I enquire, can't all of this be a
>bit more moderated? It is very annoying to be seeing double posts running
>rampant, only to be quoted fully again and again when they are debated
>endlessly later.. Could we at least agree to urge the weeding out of these
>offending double-posts and make references to previous posts without quoting
>the post verbatim ad nausea? This is really a magazine, of sorts, and as
>such, we should issue a certain discretion to make sure that what we write
>isn't too redundant. Keep Happy, Kate, Caterwaul, LPD (by all means), and
>hell, seeing others like them, even T'pau. Just keep it informative, to the
>point, and entertaining. We shouldn't try to be excessively American in our
>hit & run viewpoint of entertainment, but it would be nice to see more
>information and a tad less bickerring.

     Moderation is a Bad Thing, IMO.  The joy of this group (and something
that needs to grow) is the ability to express _any_ opinion.  Double posts
are not worth it for Bill to go through _every single post_ and verify it's
originality.  As for referencing other posts, it's a required part of netnews,
to be able to follow an article and it's responses over a period of several
days.  At least it's required for me.  Context is a good thing.
     Argumentation is a lot different than bickering.  You might even learn
something.  :-)
     American?  Huh?

--
                                                        Ken.