Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: FTPing Cloudbusting!!!!!!!

From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 15:59:38 -0800
Subject: Re: FTPing Cloudbusting!!!!!!!
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

barger@ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) writes:

>I did get one despondent respondent reporting on his attempts to ftp:

>> I have had problems transferring the lyrics,
>>essays etc files (with the error "not a plain file").

>Any diagnoses?

     This may be covered in the dozens of articles I have yet to read, but here
goes.  BTW, did rec.music.gaffa readers fail to get any articles since last
Wednesday?  They all appear to have been sent (finally.)
     He might be trying to get the lyrics directory instead of cd-ing and
getting each individual file.  Make sure he knows to check to see if they're
directories.  If he types "dir" or "ls -l" he'll get something like this:

total 7
drwx------  2 brownfld      512 Jun 11 14:29 Mail
drwx------  3 brownfld      512 Jun  7 16:58 News
drwx------  2 brownfld      512 Jun 18 15:35 bin
drwx------  2 brownfld      512 Jun  7 16:27 localbin
lrwx------  1 brownfld       37 Nov  1  1990 mbox -> /cso/students/mrc/brownfld/Mail/inbox
drwx------  2 brownfld      512 Jun 19 20:02 net
drwx------  4 brownfld      512 Apr 14 23:12 work
-rwx------  4 brownfld      502 Jun 20 08:12 todo

     The "d" in the beginning of the line means it's a directory, a "-" means
it's a plain file.
--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu