Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

running up things

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1991 06:33:16 -0800
Subject: running up things
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

To Michael Graham:

In obscure Kate Bush interview #462783.2, which Ron Hill will undoubtedly
post *very* soon, Kate says:

	When I wrote the lyrics to RUTH, I had just seen the series
	of superb American Superman films.  Invoking the superman
	image, I decided to allude to the traditional superman

	Stronger than a locomotive --- running up that hill
	Faster than a speeding bullet --- running up that road
	Able to leap the tallest building in a single bound --- running up that building

	As superman defies the forces of nature, so does the RUTH protaganist
	attempt to make a deal with god, so that they too can change the
	way things normally are and switch places with their lover.

Obligatory Happy reference:

	I just heard Happy Rhodes' song the Wretches Gone Awry on
	Boucherville radio station WXYZ!!!  Oh boy!  (froth, froth)
	that address once again...

-mjm
:-)