Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happyless

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1991 00:13:43 -0800
Subject: Happyless
To: Love-Hounds@ims.alaska.edu

I guess those of us who only have access to Love-hounds through bbses will now
be happyless.  Oh, well.  If something REALLY important happens, be sure to
send a note to those of us on GAFFA.

 just found this quote that might relate to the "Running Up
That Hill Mystery.  It's from the MTV raw interview just posted.
I think the idea of "running up" anything symbolizes the
difficulty of trying to live with each other and get through the
difficulties in life and how it would be "no problem" if both
were willing to try.  I think the song is a plea from one to the
other to try.

))))))))))))))))
        I: That kinda weird that you say that, because especially on
the first side all the songs are so pessimistic, these songs
about people who just cannot communicate.

        K: On this album?

        I: Yes.

        K: But I think it's actually finding a way for them to
communicate, if they can't.  The positive side is that they find
a way to, and if they don't then there's the hope that they can.

        I: Ok, so then Running Up That Hill is just the beginning of
a whole cycle?

        K: [Long pause]  How do you mean?

        I: Well, cause I mean that is like a really pessimistic
thing.  I mean, two people wanting to switch places like that.
Saying "if you could feel what I feel now, then what?"

        K: But why is it pessimistic though, why is it not positive
to want to experience what the other person feels?  For me, it's
a positive thing, it's saying that they can get rid of the
problems, or they want to, they care enough about each other to
want to do that.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com