Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I hate to leave a message actually relating to Kate, but....

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 20:22:27 PDT
Subject: Re: I hate to leave a message actually relating to Kate, but....
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>So what goes into making a Kate Bush party anyway?  LIke, what time are they,
>how long do they last - particually the one in San Jose.  What do people do,
>etc, etc.  I have never been to one!

Well, I've been to three Kate parties:  the 1989 Katemas party in
Santa Cruz, the 1989 album-release party in San Jose, and the 1990
Katemas party in Los Angeles.  It usually starts right after lunch and
lasts well into the evening -- the Santa Cruz party was still going
strong at midnight.

There are posters of Kate covering all available surfaces.  Even the
bathroom walls do not escape.

Hours of videos are shown, perhaps with breaks, during which Kate albums
are played.  People break off into little discussion groups.

It really helps to have someone with an extensive Kate collection at
your party.  Andy Marvick has been to all three of the parties I
attended.  He has a huge collection of videos, records, posters, books,
magazines, fanzines, etc., so you never got bored.  Also, he's a
veritable fountain of information.  I'll never forget the time we went
through the videos for "Hounds Of Love", "The Big Sky", and "Experiment
IV" in slow motion so he could point out all the neat details he had
discovered.  Once he even read to us short stories, written by Kate!

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov