Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KITS' Memorial Weekend Countdown -- Wow!

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 27 May 91 15:39:55 PDT
Subject: KITS' Memorial Weekend Countdown -- Wow!

KITS San Francisco ("Live-105") just finished its annual countdown of
the "Top 300 Modern Rock Songs of All Time".  As usual, the listeners
were asked to send in their votes for their favorite five songs all during
May, and the results were played this weekend.

First I'll recap the previous two years' results.

In 1989, only "Running Up That Hill" made it into the countdown,
at No. 192.

In 1990, three Kate songs made it:  "Love And Anger" at No. 283,
RUTH at No. 235, and "Wuthering Heights" (new vocal), at an incredible
No. 68.

Well, based on this track record I certainly expected Kate on this year's
countdown, so I arranged my schedule so I could listen to the whole thing.
(And there *are* quite a few  songs from other artists that sometimes
make it onto the countdown that I do like.)

But they kept playing song after song after song, with no Kate at all,
and I was starting to get really depressed.  They were down around song
number 45 (well above any previous Kate position), and still no Kate
at all.  That's when I got fed up, and called the station.  The DJ at
this point was Mark Hamilton, who I know is a Kate fan, so I figured
if I couldn't get encouragement from him he'd at least be able to
commiserate with me.

So I called him up and I said, "This is the third year that I've listened
to the countdown, and I must say I'm somewhat disappointed this year.
Not one of the songs I voted for have been played so far."

"Oh really,"  he said, "Like what song, for instance?"

"Well, the song I really expected you to play was 'Running Up That Hill'.
After all, that song had made it to the countdown for two straight years.
But it was above 200 last year, and in the 190's the year before so I
figure we're now way past the part of the chart where it might conceivably
appear."

And he said, "Hold on!  We're not done with the countdown yet!  I can't
tell you much, but I believe I'll be able to satisfy you.  In fact, I
think Kate Bush fans will be very happy with the results of the
countdown."

Needless to say, this gave me a great deal of hope, and encouraged me to
go on listening!

And, sure enough, RUTH come up at No. 36!  Over the air, Mark Hamilton
said, "At number 36, Kate Bush with 'Running Up That Hill'.  And that's
not the last we'll be hearing from Kate on this countdown."

"Wuthering Heights" (new vocal) came in at No. 20!

Imagine -- two Kate songs in the top 40, one of them in the top 20!!!!!
Both these songs placed way above a lot of songs I was sure would beat
them.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov