Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

caterwaul again..

From: bullroar@darkside.com (Mark Kraft)
Date: Thu, 23 May 91 04:16:20 PDT
Subject: caterwaul again..
Comments: The Sleepless Eye Illuminati, Inc.

Ok.. found an interview.. I actually did three interviews with the band, I
guess.. here is one I did in Spring of '89.. after meeting the band in early
'89 when Pin and Web came out, I set up a show of theirs on the SJSU
campus.. They performed a free concert in the school's ampetheatre.
We all found a nice tree and had a fun little chat.

Me: This is 90.7 FM KSJS and we're hanging out under a tree here with
Caterwaul... <The band makes placid bird chirping noises..> ahh.. the birds
are out today.. beautiful day. Caterwaul just finished a free show in the
ampetheatre at San Jose State.. how did you like it?
Betsy: It was fun.. it was hot but it was cool..
Fred Cross:It's really refreshing to play during the day.. real nice.
Me: On your last album "Pin and Web" you spent eight months in the studio
.. what was that like? Why did it take so long?
Kevin: Getting to know a producer.
Betsy: It was weird.. It was kind of sickening. We were bewilderred. It was
a new situation.
Mark: We did the preproduction first and then we recorded and mixxed down.
Theres an amazing amount of work to be done.
Kevin: We didn't really know how long it would take. It was the first time
we had ever worked with a producer. We had a choice of a few. We were really
happy with the result. He ( Dennis Herring ) seemed to be  the best and I'm
sure he was the best that we could use at that time. It was time consuming.
We like to play live.. he kind of ball-and-chained us to a 24 track..
Me: You've already written several songs for your next album.. can you tell
me what you will  do on the next album? (Portent Hue)
Mark: Rock and roll..we're kind of hoping to get a heavier sound.. more raw
and not so refined. We like production, but hopefully the way it's recorded
will be not so dead a mix.
(a wilderness beast comes down from the tree..)
Betsy: Take less time to record it..
Kevin: A squirrel....
Betsy: Ooohh.. Look at the squirrel!!
me: A squirrel in Downtown San Jose, it will never happen again.. You're
listenning to Caterwaul hanging out beneath one of San Jose's finest trees..
let's listen to a song.. (What I Hear, You Can't, How Come?)
me: Mark, you have a very original sound to your guitar playing.. are there
any guitarists that you like especially?
Mark: There are many different ones..
Kevin: Blue ones, red ones..
Mark: The only one that really comes to mind is Andy Gill, the Gang of Four
guitarist.
me: So are you tourring now?
Kevin:  We just finished a three month tour.. this is sort of a mini-tour.
Betsy: A pay-your-rent tour..
me: When do you expect to start working on the next album? Do you have any
idea on how long it will take this time?
Kevin: We're looking for a producer right now.. we just talked to Dave
Oglevie, who has done producing for Skinny Puppy and we have also talked to
Alvin Clark who has done Gene Loves Jezebel and X. We plan on having about a
two-week preproduction and a two month recording time. It will hopefully
start about mid-October. It will give us a nice Christmas present. They may
not release it until March. It takes a few months to get the album put out
after the recording is finished. We've had a surplus of songs sitting around
but now we are finishing a lot of them up..
me: so, tell us about the show that you are playing tonight at the Cactus
Club..
Fred: We're playing with two other good bands, Pygmy Love Circus and the
Furlongs. We know the Pygmies from L.A.  Kevin and I used to paint buildings
with the bass player.
me: You vandalists!  Well, you played a show late last night in San
Francisco and you're probably all very tired. Good luck with your next album
..we're all looking forward to it..
Betsy: Thank you..
the band: Byeeee..