Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sunday all over the World

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: 21 May 91 02:25:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Sunday all over the World
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <AcC2Vlm00UhWE2AnhC@andrew.cmu.edu> ba0k+@andrew.cmu.EDU (Brian Patrick Arnold) writes:

>    Robert Fripp fans should be happy to know that his group "Sunday all
>over the World" has released its first CD "Kneeling at the Shrine" on
>the EG Records label, distributed through Caroline Records.

Well, happy that the damn thing finally came out, not so happy about Toyah's
vocals, IMHO.  I don't know whether to hope they tour or not.

>The sound is refined and
>contemporary with some really beautiful moments, but overall it sounds
>forced, syrupy and needs a better voice singing less often.

I'm a very hard core Fripp fan, but I have to agree 100%.  The vocals almost
ruin it.  My reaction was, "Kate Bush / Danielle Dax / Grace Jones imitations
over some really great music."  Kate in particular should be asking for
royalties. %)

>    Musically, Trey Gunn is quite impressive on the stick, and Paul
>Beavis' drumming and percussion makes the sound complete.  Fripp does
>some new things with the synth guitar which come off excellently well,
>and he also echoes some of the sounds of David Sylvian's "Gone to
>Earth," which Fripp contributed to.

What we really need is a dub version of the SAOTW album. %)

I accidentally deleted your question about the League of Crafty Guitarists'
upcoming release.  It's titled _Show of Hands_, and is due out in June.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com