Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dreaming of Kate

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 May 91 21:52:54 EDT
Subject: Dreaming of Kate
Sender: nessus@media-lab.media.mit.edu

My dream about Kate:

     I was waiting in line to get Kate's autograph at a signing
     appearance.  It was outdoors in the suburbs during the summer.
     The line was not very long and Kate was sitting at an
     office-desk-sized table.  My turn came soon.  I wanted to get
     Kate to sign my Official Kate Bush Club Comb (tm), but I searched
     in my pocket and could not find it.  Instead I asked her to sign
     my Official Kate Bush Club Plastic Hand (tm).  She signed it, but
     when she had finished somehow the plastic hand had become her own
     hand.  Kate appologized and said she hoped that I wouldn't demand
     the hand back, as she could not easily return it.  I said that it
     was not a problem, but joked that she would have to pay me rent.

     Kate and a few of her friends then decided to walk home, which
     was only a few blocks away.  Kate invited me to come with them.
     While we were cutting across someone's back yard, one of Kate's
     friends told me that when he was a kid he lived next door to
     David Lee Roth and that David had known this special paralizing
     wrestling hold.  The friend then demonstrated the hold on me.  I
     became paralyzed and started to panic.  I woke up.

I had another dream where Kate was the performer on cruise ship.  She
sang a song I had never heard before.  It was definitely a Kate Bush,
song, however.  It was in her simpler, earlier style.  It was very
good.  I guess this is one Kate Bush song I shall never hear again....

> [Kate:] Yes, who else is there, really?  But I would really hate anyone to
>    be offended by the song.  It's not meant to be a glorification of
>    that whole event.  It's just meant to be an exploration of the idea
>    that evil quite often appears in a charming guise, and we should
>    all be careful.  He fooled so many people, and I don't think you
>    can blame them for being fooled.

I get really annoyed everytime I see Kate saying this!  Of course you
can blame the people he "fooled".  You can and should blame every
single one of the bastards that let Hitler act out his awful scheme!
Hitler wasn't to blame; he was insane.  You can't blame someone for
being insane.  It was all of the sane people who turned their eyes
away and quietly let it all happen who are to blame.  Those and the
greedy people who saw a chance to better their lives at the expense of
others.

> [aaron@minster.york.ac.uk:] Someone made the assertion that 'My
> Lagan Love' was written by Kate/John Carder Bush which is strange
> because an Irish friend of mine seems to be under the impression
> that the melody is that of a traditional Irish folk song, although
> he does use a different lyric when singing it.

The melody *is* traditional.  John Carder Bush wrote the lyrics to
Kate's version of the song.