Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sunday all over the World

From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 May 91 15:50:09 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Sunday all over the World

    Robert Fripp fans should be happy to know that his group "Sunday all
over the World" has released its first CD "Kneeling at the Shrine" on
the EG Records label, distributed through Caroline Records.  Toyah
Willcox sings, Robert Fripp plays guitar, Trey Gunn plays stick bass,
and Paul Beavis plays drums.

    The group toured off and on over the last couple of years, in
between or during League of Crafty Guitarists retreats/tours ("BTW,
Where's the new LCG release?").  People who saw them reported that they
sounded a bit too synth-poppy.  My initial impression of their CD is
that it is a "Lizard" of the 90's.  The sound is refined and
contemporary with some really beautiful moments, but overall it sounds
forced, syrupy and needs a better voice singing less often.  Some people
find Toyah's voice mesmerizing, but I feel it takes something away from
the music.  The music overall sounds similar to but better than Toyah's
recent solo "Ophelia's Shadow" which is essentially "Sunday" with a
different guitarist, recorded at about the same time late last summer.

    Musically, Trey Gunn is quite impressive on the stick, and Paul
Beavis' drumming and percussion makes the sound complete.  Fripp does
some new things with the synth guitar which come off excellently well,
and he also echoes some of the sounds of David Sylvian's "Gone to
Earth," which Fripp contributed to.

    Other notable notes: Bill Bruford and Tony Levin contributed a duet
"Evensong" (!) to the new Yes CD, which is a brief but blissful aside
from the otherwise same-ey Yes music that the supposed collaboration
created.  "Union," well, it is definitely non-intersecting.  I am quite
impressed with Tony Levin's bass playing on the ABWH tracks, somewhat
impressed with both guitarists, and quite unenthused about everything
else.

   Apparently guitarist/God Steve Tibbetts is touring and played
recently in Pittsburgh.  Anybody with information about him playing in
the San Fran bay area, please e-mail me (Internet: ba0k@andrew.cmu.edu).

- Brian