Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Need help with backwards-tape setup

From: donley@milton.u.washington.edu (Erik Olson)
Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 17:27:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Need help with backwards-tape setup
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: donley@milton.u.washington.edu

jondr@sco.COM ("Jonathan S. Drukman") writes:

>Four ways of playing sounds backwards:

>2. If it's on cassette, swap the plus and minus sides of the DC power
>going to the motor and your tape deck will play backwards, I think.
>Never tried this one, but theoretically it's sound enough.  Try it on
>a cheap Walkman first.

NO NO NO NO!!!  Think about this for a second.... What you will do is
unwind the tape on the takeup reel, causing it to spew out all over the
pinch roller and possibly jam the tape.  Remember kids, cassette decks
only have one reel connected to the motor at a time.  When you press
play, it is the takeup reel that's "in gear".  Always.

However, with that said, here's a couple of ways I managed to play
cassettes backwards:

  A.  Open up the cassette and give the tape a half twist.
  B.  If it's an autoreverse deck, switch the leads on the forward
      and reverse heads.

Much better, of course, is to use an open reel deck, or as Jon said, a
4-tracker.
--
Erik D. Olson					 donley@milton.u.washington.edu

	Quoth the raven... "Eat my shorts!"  "BART!!!"