Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Are you happy?

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Tue, 7 May 91 12:26:59 CDT
Subject: Are you happy?
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

It was great to read Doug Burks Happy acolades.  In short --- "what he said"!
Now, Doug has brought up an interesting point: Happy's sleeve covers for
her cassettes.  You are right, Doug, these could be an impediment to
the untrained eye.  Point in fact:  I was playing Happy's works to two
friends (both happened to be female) and they rather enjoyed the music,
but when I showed them the cassettes, one of them remarked rather poignantly:
"gosh, mike, I would never buy something with a cover like that in a record
store!"  Well, that is unfortunate.  I believe that this art work (by Happy
herself) portray the spirits, demons, devils with which Happy felt herself
contending during some *un*happy years of her life... many of these
show up in her lyrics (the drears, the wretches, etc.).  When these albums are
finally released on CD, it will be interesting to see what the packaging
turns out to be.

-mjm