Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy Rhodes -- BUY THESE ALBUMS!!!

From: dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu (Doug Burks)
Date: 7 May 91 15:00:18 GMT
Subject: Happy Rhodes -- BUY THESE ALBUMS!!!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU

Greetings,
     If there are some unfortunate souls out there who still have not
gotten any Happy Rhodes albums, do not hesitate!  Do not pass GO!  Pay
out the $60!  I got my supply last weekend, and finally listened to
Vol I while driving to work this morning.  Even being unable to
concentrate fully on the words, even being unable to listen to the last
two songs due to my arrival at work, this album is brilliant.  Can it
really be her debut?!  I hope that hearing this from someone who rarely
posts (just once before!) will convince others to get off their duffs!!
I don't have the address handy, but the address for Aural Gratification
has only been posted a few thousand times in recent months, so it shouldn't
be hard to find.  If you can't, mail me, and I'd be happy/proud to send
it to you!
     I just can't see how the bright light of Happy Rhodes' talent has
stayed hidden under a bushel over the last five years.  Her voice is just
gorgeous, her singing expressive and of high quality.  The musical
background of guitar or synthesizers are straightforward, allowing her
voice to occupy center stage.  At higher registers, her voice has eerily
strong resemblance to KaTe's, even down to her phrasing.  IMHO her voice
is even better than KaTe's.  [He quickly ducks incoming SCUD flames!!].
One listen doesn't do justice to her lyrics, especially while driving,
but what I heard indicates I have some depths to plumb.  In short, she has
all of the tools.  I've always felt that KaTe's wonderful musical and
vocal quirkiness has kept her from greater success in America, but Happy
lacks that impediment.  Happy deserves much more success than she has.
     Well, I must admit one quirk that could turn off potential buyers,
one so noticeable, that I'm surprised I don't remember hearing it mentioned
here before.  The four cassettes have four of the strangest album covers
I've ever seen, straight out of some nightmare inspired by a B-grade
science fiction movie.  On _Ecto_ (I think.  It could have been
_Rearmnament_), the creature has faded into a practical fuzzy but still
threatening non-existence.  No lettering or other titles intrude on these
strange pictures, painted by Happy Rhodes.  In contrast, the cover of
_Warpaint_ CD is almost disappointingly conventional, a black and white
portrait of Happy (I presume).
     So, do not wait!  Run, don't walk!  Buy these albums!  Tell your
friends and neighbors!  Give Happy the support (financial and otherwise)
she deserves!!!  [Gee, I even have four more wonderfull albums to listen
to!]
     Finally, thank you, Vickie (if you're listening)!  Thank you!
Thank you!  Thank you!

Doug Burks                                     _O_
dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu                 |<       She really is!!

PS:  Now that I've broken the ice somemore, I'll have to post some actual
     KaTe stuff.  Until then, enjoy KaTe, at least!
Disclaimer:  None of this Happy delirium is intended to degrade the pure
     genius of KaTe by one jot.  She really is God!
     one