Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

BooTleg cds

From: Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com
Date: Mon, 6 May 91 17:44:40 PDT
Subject: BooTleg cds

Micheal Kaufman says he finds it funny (I think he means "ironic") that I would
reprint an "anti-bootlegging" article without permission.

Don't like what Mr. Fripp has to say, eh? :-)

It isn't really ironic. Fripp says he's against professional bootleggers in
general, and amateurs at his shows. We're not selling access to love-hounds,
so "professional" really doesn't hold. Fripp objects to amateur bootleggers
because they're discourteous and ruin the immediacy of the event. Since
this article was always intended to be published for a wide audience, and there
is no immediacy in a magazine, "amateur" doesn't hold either.

Given the content of the article, I'd guess he would want it to have as
wide a distribution as possible, and it's fairly unlikely that anybody
would be able to find a 12-year-old copy of _Musician_.

I'm also not in complete agreement with everything he says. It was merely
"submitted for your approval." After all, my newspaper prints opinion pieces
by Patrick Buchanan and Cal Thomas, who's views certainly don't agree with
the editorial board.

Henry B. Messenger           STEVE   REICH   ^   THE   DESERT   MUSIC
henry_burdett_messenger@     MICHEAL  TILSON  THOMAS    ^   CONDUCTOR
   cup.portal.com            Steve Reich  and  Musicians  with Chorus
                             and members of the brooklyn philharmonic
                             text     ^     william  carlos  williams