Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Whole Story Video

From: judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 13:57 MST
Subject: The Whole Story Video

  Hi! I finally got my copy of the Whole Story Videos today, and boy! Were
you folks right! It so totally eclipses The Sensual World Videos that it's
amazing... Again, I'd like to share what I thought, and would welcome/appreciate any feedback.

WUTHERING HEIGHTS: Well, this video didn't do a whole lot for me, but
considering it was one of her first efforts, I'm not complaining. I kinda
had to laugh while watching it, as overall it did remind me alot of so many
other videos of that time period... (ie- especially the mirrored images)

CLOUDBUSTING: My god, this video was INCREDIBLE. It's by far my favorite on
the tape. In my opinion, Donald Sutherland was an excellent choice. The
cinematography was excellent. I especially liked the short scene where KaTe
and Donald were sharing the hand-drawn pictures. The few seconds that showed
KaTe expressing that wide-eyed childlike innocence just blew me away. Actually,
Donald and KaTe worked together so well that I had no problems believing that
they were "father" and "son." The Cloudbusting machine was also well done-
it just meshed well with everything else in a wonderfully pictorial way.
By far my favorite KaTe video so far.

THE MAN WITH THE CHILD IN HIS EYES:  This has always been one of my favorite
KaTe songs, but the video just didn't do much for me. Maybe, after I watch
it a few more times.....

BREATHING: Truly bizarre! I'm assuming she is trying to portray the unborn
and the effects of radiation poisoning on both the individual and the human
race as a whole. That WAS an umbilical cord, wasn't it? And am I right in
assuming she is actually wearing nothing but plastic wrap? Truly BRAVE
woman, isn't she? I didn't quite actually understand the scene where they
are emerging from the water. If someone could explain this segment to me,
I'd greatly appreciate it. Overall, I really liked this "breathtakingly
fresh" (no pun intended) video.

WOW: If these clips are taken from the Live At Hammersmith video as I'm
guessing they are, I've REALLY got alot to look forward to! (Thanks to
you, Lee!)

HOUNDS OF LOVE: Another video that I couldn't tear my eyes away from. I
think this video is the best I've seen so far that showcases KaTe's amazing
talents as a gifted dancer. I thought her movements were more graceful,
flowing, and heartfelt than in alot of her other videos. I also liked the
use of the simple grey costumes. It was perfect in that it didn't detract
from the performances. In fact, I think the flowing lines of the "skirts"
rather added to the choreography. (OOPS! PUT THIS PARAGRAPH UNDER RUNNING
UP THAT HILL. I GOT AHEAD OF MYSELF AND GOT THE TITLE WRONG, AND DON'T
KNOW HOW TO EDIT THIS MESS!)

HOUNDS OF LOVE (for real this time): While I really enjoyed this video,
I unfortunately don't know enough about the story line to pass judgement
yet. I was a tad confused at times. If anyone would be willing to offer
their more-correct interpretation, I'd greatly appreciate it. I just
tended to get a bit confused as to who was who as I didn't know what it
was about!

RUNNING UP THAT HILL: I have ambivalent about this one. At times I felt
it had almost too much "camp" in style. I just couldn't help laughing
every time she "blinked" those big eyes of hers. If I take the video
as a spoof of war movies in an effort to give a big anti-war statement,
I like it. But, if she was honestly trying to be SERIOUS, I'm not so
sure. (I did like the use of the little-boy-getting-older. Nice touch.)

AAAAAARGH! I just don't know where my mind is today! Let's try the last
paragraph (which I screwed up royally) again.

ARMY DREAMERS: I have ambivalent feelings about this one. At times I felt
it was a bit too "campy" for my tastes in relation to my feelings about
this song. I just couldn't help laughing every time she "blinked" those
big eyes of hers. If I take the video as a spoof of war movies in an effort
to give a big anti-war statement, I like it. But, if she was honestly trying
to be SERIOUS, I'm not so sure. (I did like the use of the little-boy-grows-
up. Nice touch.)

SAT IN YOUR LAP: I loved it! Especially the rollerskating. Everything was
so ridiculously caricatured and cartoon-like... the dunce caps, the tutu,
the jesters, etc. It really reinforced my own personal opinions as to what
the song means.

EXPERIMENT IV: Oooooooh.....! This video absolutely gave me CHILLS! I'll
be seeing this one in my nightmares.... Very, very excellently done. I've
always liked the song due to the "horror-index" impact it has on me every
time I hear it, and the video just amplified that a thousand times....
Beautiful KaTe, poor Del, and then that CREATURE! Brrrrrrrrrgh!

THE DREAMING: It fit the song perfectly. Great imagery. Also vaguely
unnerving at times, but I liked it especially for that reason! The use
of the laser was a great addition. Also- where can I get an outfit like
KaTe's......

BABOOSHKA: While this video did not in any way fit my interpretation of
the song, I still enjoyed it. Talk about KaTe looking like two different
sides of a coin! I only wish her movements with the cello(? I don't know
my instruments very well) were a bit more fluid- I thought they looked a
bit too jerkish and abrupt at times. Again- Man, that chainmail outfit!
Love to have one, but I don't think I'm brave enough to wear it....

THE BIG SKY: I'm am so very, VERY glad they included this video! It
was so wonderfully upbeat, and was the perfect video to close the
compilation. The changing scenes were also wonderfully filmed, and
the whole atmosphere, mood, everything just left me with one big smile
on my face. By the way- was that John Carder  and Paddy Bush in the pilots
caps in a couple of scenes?

Again, I'm really glad everyone suggested I get this tape. It's so
wonderful! Worth every penny, and more....

Sorry about my glaring goofs while typing this. I'm on meds for allergies,
and they're making me a bit goofy.... OK, OK, I'm always goofy. Right now
I'm just a bit more than usual. Think I'll go take a quick nap (the meds
make me sleepy, too, when I'm not sneezing my head off), and then watch
the video again before my husband gets home!

  Thanks for being so patient, understand, and helpful with this "greenie"
love-hound.....

                                 judi