Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (none)

From: Shaun Hayes <shaun@iris.mincom.oz.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 11:41:08 EST
Subject: Re: (none)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1991Apr7.214314.3139@desire.wright.edu> you write:
 >           .... At one point her personality became "Minga", a short mexican
 >woman who foretold of the coming wars and how God will be burning many people.
 >Well anyways, portions of this sounded *EXACTLY* like the shrieking of Diamanda
 >Galas.  It didn't help that I was watching it alone in the dark but it scared
 >the hell out of me.  Diamanda has (I think) 5 albums:
 >The Litanies of Satan
 >Diamanda Galas
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the second time I've seen this one mentioned.
Can anyone tell me what it's like (!), catalogue numbers, etc.  I'd
love to get it, but no-one here seems to have heard of this woman....

 >The Divine Punishment
 >Saint of the Pit
 >You Must Be Certain of the Devil
 >I own the Divine Punishment and Saint of the Pit on 1 CD and The Litanies of
 >Satan.  The last three on the list comprise "the plague mass" (Masque of the
 >Red Death) as Chris already mentioned.  The Divine Punishment is a collection
 >of Bible verses from the Old Testament sung in shrieking soprano, whisper,
 >gurgle, and multi-layered rumble with an insistent droning synth in the
 >background.  The Saint of the Pit is an "opera" using French poetry by Nerval,
 >Corbiere and Baudelaire.  Galas' vocals are more varied on this album which
 >is  both claustrophobic and mesmerizing.  I haven't gotten the third part of
 >the trilogy yet but I hear she does an a cappella version of "Swing Low Sweet
 >Chariot".
Yep, and it's chilling (that woman can _sustain_ a note!).  Drop everything.
GO OUT AND BUY THIS ALBUM.  It utilises the idea of carnival and "spiritual"
music - i.e. is more "modern" - to take the trilogy through time up to
the present (sort of).  The title track and the one about "drink[ing] your
scotch and soda at the bar" (DAMN! why can't I remember the title?). Brrr.
Talking about giving you the chills.  The only fault with the album is that
it's too short.

--
|-----   "Strange how potent cheap music is..."                              |
|\ = /                           Julie Andrews as Gertrude Lawrence in "Star"|