Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Once more into the breach

From: Duane.Day@ebay.sun.com (Duane Day - duane@thismoment.EBay.Sun.COM)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 10:16:59 PDT
Subject: Re: Once more into the breach

ALDSTF10@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:

>So would I, Steve old chum, but for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. I thi>nk Bach's music is masterful because it obeys beautiful and structured forms wi
>th almost mathematical precision, but without sounding soulless. I happen to th
>ink Phillip Glass is a vapid twit. His music isn't necessarily simple; I would
>call it random, a resort to varied noises and unfocused musical ideas simply fo
>r the avante-gardedness (??!) of it all.  Some Kate songs strike me as resortin
>g to that type of thing, almost as if just to fill up space, and a person with
>her talent doesn't have to resort to that.

(1)  Your text would be much easier to read if you kept the line length
     down to 80 characters and/or started new lines at the beginning of a
     word.

(2)  You don't have a clue as to what's going on with Philip Glass.  Yes,
     you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but be aware that it's an
     almost completely uninformed one.  Even though you don't perceive
     the structure in something, please don't assume there isn't any.
     "Random" is one of the least appropriate adjectives I can think of
     to apply to Glass' music.  If you want to give Glass another chance
     from a fresh perspective, a good place to start is _Songs from
     Liquid Days_, as the compositions use more traditional song forms.

(3)  Here's hoping that your musical boundaries are enjoyably expanded.
     There's a wonderful world of music out there beyond all those rules
     and judgments.