Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (none)

From: daneman@sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman)
Date: 5 Apr 91 17:28:17 GMT
Subject: Re: (none)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9104051438.AA12955@ugle.unit.no> news@UGLE.UNIT.NO writes:
>                           HOTEL CALIFORNIA REVISITED
>
>   Is there anybody out there who can come to my assistance in exegeting the lyrics to the good, old song "Hotel California", by the Eagles? This piece of en>   What is to be "Tiffany-twisted", and to have the "Mercedes bends"? Is it simply to be fond of a certain kind of cloth, and to fancy stealing Mercedeses? And MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, what is "colitas"? Consider the following lines:
>  "On a dark desert highway/cool wind in my hair/warm smell of colitas/rising up through the air".

As far a "Tiffany-twisted", I always assumed that they took Tiffany (the
singer chick) and twisted her a few times as she deserves to be twisted. 8-)

As for "colitas", I think the word is "'caliptas" as in ucaliptus (sp?) which
is a tree.

"Mercedes bends" is a strange decease that happens when you mecedes
surfaces too quickly while scuba diving ( a scuba joke :-)).  No, really,
I think the words are "Mercedes Bentz" - the car name.

And now for the all important meaning of the song:
  As far as I can tell the song is about any type of addiction.  It could
be love, it could be drugs, or perhaps a whole life style.  It is being
unable to break free of this addiction ("They stab it with their stealy
knifes, but they just can't kill the beast").  However, it is an addiction
that is brought on a person though his own actions/behavior/passion
("We are all just prisoners here of our own device").  It is something
that is pleasurable yet destructive ("And I was thinking to myself this
could be Heaven or this could be Hell").  And finally it is an attempt
to  break the habit and the inability to do so. ("You can check out
anytime you like, but you can never leave.")

I hope this clarifies it a little.  I would welcome any discussion on
the subject.

-Mike.