Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Kenneth R Brownfield <brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 03:17:54 -0600

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Subject: Re: GLC
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1991 09:17:42 GMT

>Just a comment, is "One more look around the house before we go" in the
>boxed set?  It's absolutely beautiful, and I love playing it over and
>over.....

     Yow!  Me too!  I left the song on repeat for a whole night on that
song.  Also, is there a track list for the B-sides discs in the Box(ed) Set?
If they're in the gaffa archives (hayes.fai.alaska.edu?) just kick me in
the right direction.  I've still managed (much to Love-Hounds' dismay, I'm
sure  ;-) not to buy the Set.  200 clams is a bit much, and I have a lot of
stuff on tape from a friend (who should be thanked again!)  Poor student
and all that...
     I might as well throw in a few things about the GOoMH discussion.  I tend
to agree with the _The Shining_ reference.  The song always hit me as a
conflict on a relationship level, not exactly a sexual level.  I always thought
that "This house is as old as I am/This house knows all I have done" refers to
a home.  As old as I am probably doesn't mean exactly as old, just in reference
to it's age.  Most houses tend to be around 15-20 years old, in general.  While
I can't say from experience, I would say that describing rape in a song would
be much more shocking and raw than GOoMH.  The man is begging to get back in,
not in already and gloating, or whatever.  I never got the idea of rape, but
it does at a new level to the song.  To each his or her own, but I doubt that's
what it was written around.  I'm sure Kate could make it quite clear if she
wanted.
     Ah, to have a loud stereo...

--
                                                        Ken.