Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Woman's Work

From: gmg@court.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Gibson)
Date: 30 Mar 91 11:15:17 GMT
Subject: This Woman's Work
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: mtxinu!sybase!news@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

[Sorry for sending this again, but I forgot the subject on the last one]

Hi, I'm relatively new to this group, AND don't read new too often, so please forgive me
if this has been covered before.  Last time I looked in on rec.music.gaffa there was a
lot of talk about a six album set which I believe was called "This Woman's Work".  Can
anyone give me any information on this?  I had not been keeping up with new releases
since The Sensual World came out, due to unfortunate circumstances.  But now that that
is behind me, I would be most interested in adding this new set to my collection.
Please email information to:

	gmg@sybase.com

Thank you very much!

I first discovered Kate via an old girlfriend's new boyfriend back in 1983.  I must admit
that at the time I wasn't too fond of her vocals on the first two albums (The Kick Inside
and Lionheart), but I immediately fell in love with her lyrics.  I DID enjoy the vocals
as well as the lyrics on her later albums, and soon grew to enjoy the vocals on the first
two as well.  I have been completely crazy about her work ever since.  Kate is the only
exception to my rule of not buying CD versions of vinyl albums I already own.

As far as favorite albums go, I would have to say that mine is Hounds Of Love, especially
side two (The Ninth Wave).  There's just something magical about that side.  I just love
the way the themes of the various songs seem to intertwine.  Of course I like ALL of the
other albums almost as much as this one, so it's kind of a close call.  In fact, I would
be incapable of picking a single favorite song from her body of work.  There are just too
many good ones!