Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gabriel about KT on Don't Give Up

From: nitehawk@cca.ucsf.EDU (Alex Gibbs)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 0:48:10 PST
Subject: Gabriel about KT on Don't Give Up
Cc: nitehawk@cca.ucsf.EDU (Alex Gibbs)

	Two days ago I happened to catch Up Close with Peter Gabriel on
KFOG here in San Francisco.  "Happened" is the right word since I misssed the
first 15 minutes or so.  I began taping it because I had to do some other
things.  He did mention Kate Bush, but at that very moment the tape ended and
I turned it over.  (ARGH!!!)  I didn't have the radio on at the time; it was
just recording.  Perhaps some of you out there heard the same program.  If
not, then here is what I DID catch:

Host:	"The album [_So_] also features a beautifully stirring vocal from Kate
	Bush on `Don't Give Up'."

PG:	"I wasn't sure at first whether to have a man or... [End of tape]
	... so I was naturally sympathetic.  And I think when I decided to
	put the woman's voice in as well, I wanted someone who could give
	it sensitivity and compassion and I think Kate has done a great job."

	The other interview bits featured PG talking about _Security_ being a
disposable title, Amnesty International with Sting, "Biko" being his favorite
song, "Red Rain" being about repressed emotion, Billy Joel talking about
"Sledgehammer", PG about _Passion_, and Youssou N'dour.  The show also
featured a live version "In Your Eyes".

	Here are a couple other quotes I liked from Peter Gabriel:

Referring to _Passion_:
"It's the responsibility of every artist to do the stuff which really excites
them and to work with the materials that most turn them on.  Because to
exclude stuff, because it comes out of the museum of authentic ethnicity,
is wrong."

"You're listening to Peter Gabriel.  We are the cause of the environmental
problems that we are now faced with.  And if we are to solve them it's us
that will have to do something about it.  Please find out what you can do...
and do it."

(All quotes from _Peter Gabriel Up Close_, Near Perfect Productions, 1991.)
Wouldn't it be cool to get one of the distribution CDs they send it out on?

In case you didn't catch it on the TV commercial...
If any of you out there haven't yet bought _Hounds of Love_, or more likely,
if any of you would like to buy it for someone, then you may want to go to
The Wherehouse since they have it on sale for a low price.

By the way, I wasn't sure if my last post had made it.  Apparently it had no
title and also apparently, notes without titles don't show up here.  If there
were direct replies to it, which I don't expect, then could the nonexistent
author please send the nonexistent reply to me at this address since I will
be unable to confirm the existence of the aforementioned nonexistent reply
otherwise.  Huh?

| @cca.ucsf.edu:nitehawk@wet.UUCP              Gibbs2@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu |
| "It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one." - Barry White       |
| "I've been ionized... but I'm okay now." - Bukaroo Banzai                   |
| "It must be Thursday; I never could get the hang of Thursdays" - Arthur Dent|