Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lionheart

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 16:51:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Lionheart
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

David T asks:

>What do you
>like about LH?  Maybe I should go back and listen to it again...What do
>you suggest I listen to/pay attention to?

"Oh England My Lionheart" is without a doubt my favorite song on this
album, and one of my favorite KaTe songs to boot.  "Kashka From Baghdad"
is also great (it was in my .sig for a while), as well as "In Search of
Peter Pan," which I'd call a classic.  "She tells me I'm too sensitive/She
makes me sad."  <sigh>

>Why do you like this album?

Same reason I like *all* of KaTe's music:  daring originality with incredible
music, vocals, and overall presence that I refuse to define (because I can't...
but She Really Is.)

>I mean...how can it possibly compare to TD and HoL?!

Most of the 200+ albums I own don't compare to TD or HoL.  Does this mean
I shouldn't like them?  I'm not allowed to listen to anything else?  The
point is that _Lionheart_ doesn't *need* to compare to TD or HoL.  It just
needs to be good.  And if nothing else, you should be interested in it simply
as part of the artistic progression and maturing process that allowed KaTe
to realize her later projects.

And are you telling me that you really can't hear any glimmer of what
would later become _The Dreaming_ in songs like "Coffee Homeground"?

Jeff
(who never thought he'd see the day when he staunchly defended _Lionheart_)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |