Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

How I found KaTe

From: judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 17:41 MST
Subject: How I found KaTe

   Well, everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon concerning this topic,
so I guess it's my turn.
  I first heard of KaTe in 1983, when I was a junior in college in a VERY
podunk college in Missouri. A sort-of friend of mine told me about this
"really weird" (his words, not mine) by this "really weird gal" that had
this "really weird" song on it called _Houdini_. The album was _The Dreaming_
which he'd found in the cut-out bin at some little used record store. Well,
he claimed to love the song Houdini, but hated the rest of the album (tasteless
little bum, he was). I borrowed it, played it, and the rest is history. Unfortunately, no record store in that area had ever even HEARD of KaTe Bush, nor could
anyone give me more information on anyone else to contact. So, that shut me
down for a few years, because basically all I had was a rather crappy taped
copy of _The Dreaming_.
  I didn't hear of KaTe again until I moved to Tucson, and met a bunch of
fellow KaTe enthusiasts at a New Year's party in Phoenix in 1987. Needless
to say, at that time, there really wasn't anybody in Tucson at that time
that carried much of her stuff, but I was able to obtain the albums she
had released up until then through special order. Up until I found the
LoveHounds Digest a few days ago, I've been able to obtain normal releases
(ie. _The Whole Story_, _The Sensual World_, ) through perseverance, but
little else, such as tour info, etc.

  Needless to say, in my opinion, the woman is a goddess. She is by far
and away my favorite artist of any type. Sometimes (a LOT of the time!)
I even think she is beyond human. 'Nuff said.

  My favorite album: by a slight margin, _Hounds Of Love_ (especially The
                     Ninth Wave)

  My least favorite album: none (they're all too wonderful, and fit so many
                           different moods)

  My favorite song: currently, "The Morning Fog" (again, this is apt to
                    change, depending on mood)

I can't wait to obtain a copy of "Under The Ivy," as I've heard so many
wonderful things about it from you folks.

Just an extra tidbit: one of my favorite posessions is a T-Shirt I found
in Phoenix that has the picture of KaTe and the quote from Tennyson as
seen on the back of _HoL_. It's getting faded, worn out, has always been
too big, and is on a crummy quality t-shirt, but what the hell- I love
it anyway!

One last note- I am a collector of buttons. Does anyone know where I can
get a catalog or some such similar item that has KaTe buttons and the like
for sale? I only have one so far.....

                         *  The light
                            Begin to bleed
                            Begin to breathe