Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Female singers update

From: halley!tzone!dwelch@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Welch)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 12:44:22 CST
Subject: Female singers update

Thanks to everyone who replied in post or e-mail to my requests
for their favorite female singers.  As far as the replies went:

	- to all who mentioned the Primitives, thankyouthankyouthankyou.
	  I bought _Pure_ and loved it.  If I ever see a copy of _Lovely_
	  I plan to snap it up, almost as fast as if it were by Her.
	- I was surpisingly disappointed in Jane Siberry.  The album of
	  hers that I found was _No_Borders_Here_, and I thought it was
	  not really that inventive, more weird-for-the-sake-of-weird
	  like Laurie Anderson (another non-favorite of mine).  Did I
	  choose the wrong album?
	- I also got _The_Innocence_Mission_, which I haven't made up
	  my mind about yet.
	- Still looking for something by Renaissance.

A really really good album from here in Austin is _Dreams_Come_True_,
by the trio of Lou Ann Barton, Marcia Ball, and Angela Strehli.  These
three are long-time mainstays of the potent Austin blues scene.  If you
like the blues, they are for you.  (Lou Ann Barton, originally, was the
singer in Double Trouble, but dropped out.  Too bad -- her voice and
Stevie Ray's guitar combined could make the blind see, or maybe make
the sighted blind.)

Also, _Soul_Shake_ by Angela Strehli solo is awesome.

| Daniel Welch			      | "Kate Bush is the sort of performer   |
| Tandem Computers, Inc.	      | for whom the word 'superstar' is      |
| Austin, TX, USA		      | belittling."			      |
| halley!tzone!dwelch@cs.utexas.edu   | 	Mike Davies, _Melody_Maker_   |