Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My First Kate

From: Douglas MacGowan <macgowan@NISC.SRI.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 10:54:36 PST
Subject: My First Kate

It was the Summer of 1981 and a friend and I were having an argument about
the lyrics of Pat Benatar's cover of "Wuthering Heights".  She said it
started "out on the wiley" and I said it started "out on the winding".

So to prove me wrong, she went out and bought TKI.

Okay, so I was wrong.

We listened to the record and both went - what the hell's wrong with
her voice? - but I really liked the lyrics.  So I took the album from her
and played it and started to like "Man with the Child" and "Kite"

It grew from there and now I don't even think of Kate when people ask
me my favorite singer, because she has surpassed that category -- this
woman is an artist of the auditory and visual medium.

If I had to take one song to be launched into space with it would have
to be Ne Ten Fuis Pas (spelled wrong because it ain't in front of me)
and the album of choice would be The Dreaming -- it came at an
important time in my life and it is so damn unique.

Although I also rather like setting aside 30 minutes on a rainy
afternoon and going all the way through "The Ninth Wave".  I find that
listening to selected parts from that piece to be very disorienting --
it needs to be played completely -- start to finish.

And now I'm waiting to see what's next...

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@NISC.SRI.COM