Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My first glimmer of KaTexistence

From: cellar!rogue@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 91 19:03:02 EST
Subject: My first glimmer of KaTexistence

   Came in 1985 - late for some, but I was still young then, when I'd become
completely fed up with commercial radio and Philadelphia's WXPN hadn't been
taken over by suits.  I heard Running Up that Hill first, then Lionheart
later the same night.  A friend I'd made at the station, who only played
music by women, was always good far playing Breathing or another KaTe track
on her show.

   By that time, I already owned the marblised cassette of Hounds of Love,
and the CD of The Kick Inside with the fighter-kite import cover.  Not having
a CD player (I still don't, but I own four CD's - The Kick Inside, The
Sensual World, Enigma's MCMXC a.D., and k.d. lang's Absolute Torch and Twang)
I buttonholed a friend into letting me dub it on his machine - and wound up
lending him the CD almost permanently.  The legend spread.  By the time I'd
graduated high school (class of '86), I'd created about two dozen worshippers
of Saint KaTe.

   This is my first post on Usenet, and I've never really had access to
enough well-connected (or well-rumor-fed) people to ask for Kate news.  So
it's question time.
   1) Except for Saturday Night Live, I've never heard of Kate ever coming to
the United States.  (Based on some of her songs, especially on Hounds of
Love, I theorised that she was afraid of crossing the ocean.)  Why doesn't
she ever seem to cross the pond?
   2) What dates have been announced for the 1991-92 World Tour?

I ssuppose I should work on a little sign-off box now, but I'll leave you as

R-og