Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Finding Kate

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 19:32:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Finding Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I got into KaTe in a sort of roundabout way.  I'd heard the name, but had
no idea what her music was like...but I knew she sang back up on one
of the Gabriel albums my brother had.  Then I bought Big Country's _The Seer_,
on which she sings BVs on the title track.

The manager of the record store where I worked in 86/87 told me to listen
to some of her stuff, but I never did...  Other than little bits like
"Don't Give Up," I had no real contact with KaTe until late '87, when
I borrowed a copy of TWS from a friend.  It was great, so I went out and
bought my first CD:  _Never For Ever_.  That sufficed until the following
fall ('88).  A friend of mine who'd heard me playing NFE all the time had
bought HoL and TKI over the summer.  I fell in love with both albums, but
purchashed neither.  I bought Lionheart, then HoL, then TD, and finally,
in June '89, I bought TKI.

"Army Dreamers" is still my favorite KaTe song, with "The Ninth Wave" a close
second (what?  I can't do that?  Okay, "Jig of Life" is my second favorite).
SiG, Houdini, Night of the Swallow, and SiYL follow after those.

Getting into KaTe was a fairly slow process for me--it took me ~1.5 years
to get all of the (then) 5 studio albums.  (considering that it took me
a little over two years to get all 16 Genesis albums, this is slow...)

I don't even know if I would have bought _Never For Ever_ if "Army Dreamers"
hadn't grabbed me so strongly when I first heard TWS.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |