Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: best album...

From: tr@cbnea.att.com (Aaron L Hoffmeyer)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 05:46:51 EST
Subject: Re: best album...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9103150209.AA09990@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> YOUNG_MI@CTSTATEU.BITNET writes:

>I must agree with Jen  (<kirsch33@snynewvm.bitnet>)  that 'Hounds of Love'
>is the best KaTe album.  'The Dreaming' is also very good, but the power
>of 'The Ninth Wave' is something to be reckoned with.
>

>-----Out of the cloud
>     burst the head of
>     the tempest...
>     Murderer, murderer of calm...
>

>Michele

I'm new to this group and I'm a new customer of Kate's music.  I just
bought my first cassette - and it happens to be _Hounds_of_Love_.
Anyway, I consider _Hounds_ to be one of the finest albums I've ever
heard.  Funny thing, though.  To me, the worst song on the album, and
the only one I would have excluded is "Hounds of Love".  Is there some
reason or story behind the apparent value Kate places on this song?

Also, one of the songs on the second side (I haven't associated the
names with the sounds just yet - I listen to it while I work), has a
section where Kate is saying, "Talk to me, Talk to me" and it is broken
up.  When I heard it, I immediately thought that the trick to the broken
pattern of sound was undersampling, such as sampling the sounds at 2 or
4k Hz instead of the normal 44k, 88k - whatever.  Anyway, a friend heard
it and thought that it was simply someone flipping a switch or jiggling
a connection to get the broken sound.  Anyone out there have a clue?
I guess my guess assumes that the recording is digital or that the
masters, at least, are digital.

The inside of the cassette gives no information, nor clues - it is just
standard Capital garbage about how the crappy tape that they use and the
crappy mastering process is sooooo gooood.  Does the album/CD have more
info included?  Am I ever going to buy into CD? - nah.  DAT is what I am
waiting on.  OK, so I might have to buy CD to make copies from if the
industry never sells music on DAT.....  Oh, I haven't bought a DAT
machine yet either - waiting for the prices to come down.

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
TR@CBNEA.ATT.COM

99.9% of statistics are made up.
               -- Jonathan Kamens