Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: root@crash.cts.com
Date: Fri Feb 22 00:56:03 1991

To: nosc!ucsd!rec-music-gaffa
From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hil}Il)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: EMERGENCY PHOTO SITUATION
Date: 22 Feb 91 08:56:03 GMT
Sender: root@crash.cts.com

EMERGENCY PHOTO SITUATION.  :-)
        I had to get enlargements made of some of the photos, so I ended
up making the new sets sooner than expected.  I will mail them either on
Friday or (more likely Monday).  I used some of the LEFTOVER photos so I
was able to do them cheaper and will be refunding a dolllar or two.  Here
is the current list:

Ed Suranyi  (PAID)
Mike Mendelson  (PAID)
Woj (PAID)
Stephen Thomas (PAID)
Sakari Jalovaara (PAID)

Guy Larry (3 sets)
Derek Foster

        I made 11 sets and there are 9 sets that are already claimed so if
anybody wants a set please send 21 dollars american or 26 dollars overseas
(note this includes, for this set only, the one dollar off).
        I also made a few extra copies of the very best photos of Kate and the
one of del and the east wichham sign.  I can combine these with the remaing
"leftovers" sets and send them for 2 bucks if anybody is interested.  This can
be refurred to as the VERY BEST set, I guess:-).
        Here is the latest updated photo descriptions:

1990 Kate Bush Convention Photos

--------------------------------

FOURTH VERSION - UPDATE 02-21-91

        The main updates to this version are further whos who on the group
shot, and Andrew Marvick's great description of the flowers shot.
        What follows is my attempt to describe the photos from the convention.

 Since some people have and some people haven't read my previous descriptions

of my experience and some people were and some people were not there when

these photos were taken, I will assume that you don't know anything and try to

describe each picture as well as my *limited* memory will allow.  If anybody

has more info please send me a message and I will try to repost this file with

the updated info (does anybody have a transcript?).  Each new paragraph

describes the next photograph.  Special thanks to Ray Russel for help me sort

em out!  Thanks to Jorn Barger, Andrew Marvick, Andy Semple, and Gregory
Bossert for more info

on group shots.

        Outside, waiting for the doors to open.

        The stage.  Many of these early photos came out slightly too dark.

Sorry.

     The room starts filling up

        Introductions

        Auctioning off Kate's coat.  (I didn't win!)

        The view from behind me.

        The first band.  Kinda a rock-dance band if I remember.

        Crowd shot in front of me. (Only in a few sets, I had a couple of misc

shots that I didn't want!)

        Another performer (notice I have now snuck into the middle!, I was

right behind all those rude people who stood up.)

        Shot from behind me!  See any faces you know????? I was going to type

a rude comment about somebody, but it might be someone you know so I won't!

        Another performer, I believe this was the one that did a great version

of "Infant Kiss" (but don't quote me!).

        Del Palmer.

        Del auctions off a tour badge.

        Dancers.

        One of the Kate videos.

        Paddy Bush.

        Jorn Barger coming off the stage after winning a signed video.  He and

I had made an agreement that if one of us won we would take a photo of the

other one on stage.  Jorn won, using a ticket that I had gone and bought for

him!!  I was so upset that I forgot to take his picture until after he was

coming off stage!  In the background is Neil Calton accepting his award.

        Setting up the couch

        Here she is!

        Kate looks around.

        Kate plops down!  Right after this is when she made her too-cute

gesture of leaning forward with her hands on her knees.  I didn't get it.

ARGH!!!

        Kate makes a fist??

        Kate reading some questions.

        Kate.

        Kate smiles.  I would like to think , but don't know, that she is

smiling in response to the audience applauding.  At one point fairly early she

was talking about how she didn't like her first two albums as much as the

later ones.  I shouted out, "Well we love them anyways!" which got everybody

cheering.  As far as I remember, that was the only time that everybody

applauded in response to something shouted out, and I THINK I got a photo

right after.  This might be it.

        Kate

        Kate

        Kate

        Kate gets help with a question

        Awesome Kate expression.

        Blurry Kate.

        Blurry Kate.

        Kate

        Kate gestures.

        Kate shows off a drawing given by a fan, one of my favorites.

        Kate looks at another gift.

        Kate

        Kate

        Kate

        Kate

        Kate goes "em?"

        Kate gets a gift from the LOVE-HOUNDS.  Kate "thank you" Following
is Andrew Marvick's description:
        Particularly magical to IED was the photograph of Kate

at the very moment when she held in her hands the official Love-Hounds

bouquet (four dozen white roses with a big card saying "TO KATE FROM

THE LOVE-HOUNDS--USA AND THE WORLD" on it)--in fact, Ron's shot

perfectly conveys the moment when Kate must actually have been reading

the card itself (she is looking at the card in the cellophane)--and to

add to the magic, projected on the video-screens behind Kate is a view

of the bouquet from another angle, on which can be read the letters

"FROM THE LOVE-H--"! The shot also shows Dave Cross, who has just

handed the flowers to Kate and explained who they were from! Just one

of Love-Hounds' several small but not insignificant moments of glory,

folks! And all you philocanines who were unfortunately unable to

attend were in the thoughts of those who could be there. Thanks again,

Ron, for the great pictures.

        Kate drinks

        I think at this point is when she announced the tour.  I am not sure

exactly but she got the flowers, announced the tour, sang, and then left and I

THINK that is what is happening here

        Kate smiles

        Kate clears her throat

        BLURRY.

        Kate applauds?

        Kate singing (I think).

        Kate singing

        Kate singing

        Kate smiles as she finishes sings

        THE CROWD GOES WILD.

        Kate gets ready to go

        Kate gets told that she has a surprise waiting for her.

        Turns around sees the platinum album for the Sensual World.

        Kate shows off her prize and thinks "I'm such a lucky goil" (this is

speculation). This is one of my favorites

        Kate with record.

        Kate sits. DARK

        Kate thanks record man.

        Kate sits!

        Gets up to go.

        Kate gathers her loot and thinks "wow, I hope I get this much great

stuff at the tour!" (this is speculation).

        Kate blurry.

        Kate REALLY blurry

        Kate kisses us thinking "this is for that guy who shouted 'we love

them anyway'" (this is wishful thinking).

        Kate leaves, out of our lives until the tour.

        Del Palmer came back after Kate left and signed autographs for a few

people.  I asked him "can I get a photo of you smiling since I don't have any

photos of you smiling".  This busted him up, and he posed for this shot.

Probably my favorite picture.

        Del signing autographs.  I asked him if the tour would be playing the

U.S. and he said they would be playing five shows.  I asked him if they would

be coming to San Diego, and he said they would only be playing the five shows.

 I gave him my "I love San Diego" T-Shirt, which has a listing of reasons to

come to San Diego, and asked him to give it to Kate.  I heard later that she

got it and liked it, but couldn't figure out what all the reasons meant!!!!!

        A pictures of Ray Russel (fellow San Diego Kate fan).  I only included

this in a few sets.

        Love-Hounds united and strong!  Following is Jorn's description with

updates from Gregory Bossert:

okay, in ron's pic from in front of ann elizabeth hostel, let us go thru

starting with the front row, designating people with letters of the alphabet

for future disambiguation (cities are meant to be closest large city):

1st row

*a: evan welsh (scotland)

b: graham dobkins (sydney, australia)

c: ryan mcguire (cleveland, oh)

d: ron hill (san diego, ca)

e: ed suranyi (san francisco bay area)

f: larry hernandez (san francisco bay area)

g: meredith tarr (germany/usa)

2nd row:

*h: andy semple (coventry, uk)

*i: colin davidson (ipswich, uk)

*j: kimon berlin (france)

k: andy marvick (los angeles)

**l: justin bur (montreal, canada)

*m: steve carter (sf bay area)

3rd row:

*n: rick bollar (atlanta, ga, i'm thinking now)

o: greg bossert (footah!) (boston, ma)

big gap between o and p

p: jorn barger, by pillar (chicago)

4th row

*q: ray russell (san diego, ca)

*r: christer lindh (sweden)

s: phil smyth (cleveland, oh)

t: chris williams (chicago)

u: vickie mapes (chicago)

* means we got it wrong the first time.

** means i got it wrong the last time.

        Picture of the above photo being taken.

        McDonalds shot (only in a few sets).

        The day after the convention a few of us were lucky enough to go to

the Home of the couple that runs the Homeground fanzine.  These are a couple

of shots on the way.

        A couple of us waiting for the car to arrive!

        Our hero! (me)

        The car arrives.

        Together at Peter + Krys's house.  I am the one taking the photo.

Following is Jorn's description:

and at homeground central, starting at the center and working in a clockwise

spiral around the room:

vickie, ed, chris, nigel kennedy(? uncertain:^), krys, pami, paul, jorn, larry

(in infamous, reviled black-bart-don't-do-drugs sweatshirt), dave cross,

peter.

dave emceed the Con (he's older than 15, though in this photo you can't tell),

and paul and pami host the yearly "wuthering hike".

        KATE IN BLUE OUTFIT. AHEM.

        A couple of more shots of Kate walls.

        Love-sardines.  This  should be in the next

HOMEGROUND.  The last issue asked "How many Love-Hounds can you fit in a car"

and said that they would be printing the answer in the next issue.  We got

stuck at the train station cause the train took off earlier than we were told

and one of the two-cars driving us there had left!  So we all tried to leave

using just the one car!  I offered to go in the trunk, but they wouldn't let

me! (I'm experimental!!).  Anyways, three of us, me + Vickie + Chris, ended up

spending the night.

        The next morning at the train station.

        Waving goodbye.

Later that day, I went to a Beatles exhibition in London, and then the next

day headed out to walk around Welling for a while.

        2 Shots On the train to Welling

        Shot of a park near where Kate lives.  I walked around for a couple of

hours to get the feel of British city.  I am normally not able to walk for

very long without feeling pain and then a bad limp in my left hip, yet on this

day I didn't feel any pain there at all!!  Excitement, Kate vibes, or ?????

        Another park near where Kate lives.

        The public area behind Kate's family farm. (This is the photo with all

the green grass for those with only a few pictures) I didn't exactly know

where I was at first, then I met a nice lady who casually mentioned that Kate

Bush lived over there!  Kate's house is the white one in the middle.

        Our hero (me again). This is a self-portrait, holding the camera out

in front of me.

That's all the photos. I only stayed near the farm for a minute or two.  I

felt like I was imposing, even though I was on a public street, and was kinda

hoping nobody would see me.  The funny thing is as I was walking back towards

a pub on the end of the street, Kate and Del drove by!!! I only saw them for a

second, and wasn't sure it was them at first, but now I am.  They probably

didn't see me.  Anyways afterwards I went to the pub where I talked to a

female pub-keeper and she told me I was the most normal "Kate Bush gazer" that

she had ever seen!  That was a scary thought!!!  The next day I went to

Liverpool to see the Beatles sites, then to Wales to see the place where the

Prisoner was filmed, and then I came home.  A thousand bucks poorer, but

richer in many other ways, as they say.

        I hope you all enjoy these.  I am no John Bush (either in my access to

Kate or my talent!) but I think these are not bad.

Ronald "I hope this is the last batch for awhile" Hill

Apart from the photograph
They'll get nothing from me
Not until they let me see my solicitor
-Kate Bush

Whoops sorry about all the extra line feeds.. I wonder how that happened

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com