Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Angel Gabriel

From: Chris Williams <katefans@chinet.chi.il.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:31 CST
Subject: Re: The Angel Gabriel

Chris here,

mas@bucsf.bu.edu (Mark A. Semich) asked:

> Has anyone ever heard the song called "the Angel Gabriel" (or
> something like that)?  I was in _Second Coming Records_ in Harvard
> Square the other day, and saw a 3 record set of a bunch of Her songs
> and singles, and this song was one of two that I had never heard of
> before (I don't remember what the other one was called.)

  This is a little snippit of a song that Kate wrote to introduce Peter
Gabriel when he was a guest on her Christmas special "Kate". Kate, Paddy
and Glenys Groves (one of the two backup singers on the tour) sang the
following:

ALL                 Through <velvet?> storms,
                    and the rains that fell,
                    here comes the man,
                    with his tale to tell,
                    and some have named him,
PADDY (very deep)   Pe-ter,
ALL                 The An-gel Ga--bri--el.

  Peter then did an incredible solo version of "Here Comes the Flood" on
a Yamaha electric grand piano. This is my favorite version of the song.

  A couple of songs later Kate and Peter covered Roy Harper's "Another Day".
The lyrics have been transcribed before. The Christmas special should be the
first piece of rare Kate video for the new collector to get. If I had only
three "Desert Island Kate Videos" they would be:

        The Whole Story (with the _old_ "wow")
        Hammersmith"
        Kate-The Christmas Special

                                  Chris Williams
                                    of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                        katefans@chinet.chi.il

            % Q: What kind of make-up do you use?           %
            % Kate: I don't bother anymore, I use Laytex!   %

Sorry about the previous null post.