Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

I don't know.  I don't think there's any lack of basic talent among
the group of folks you mentioned.  What it really shows is: a) the
grammy voters are prone to lean toward sentimental favorites, b)
they're a sucker for sappy stuff and c) there are a lot of voters from
the recording side of the business who look for slick production above
all.  Popularity _is_ and important factor but it's mainly popularity
among the recording community, not the general public.  Sometimes the
two correspond, sometimes they don't.

Note that I'm not so much saying that the Grammies are a "right" as I
am that Sinead is wrong, it's much more about cliquishness than it is
about "mega stars".

> HOWEVER:
> a) On a good note Metallica won best metal award for their cover of Queen's
> 'Stone Cold Crazy'. YEAH!
> b) Vernon Reid of LIVING COLOR was wearing a Sinead O Connor T-shirt. YEAH!

I'm not sure what the intent of that was.  It seems strange that he
would wear the shirt in support of Sinead's attacks and then speak so
highly and respectfully of the academy members.

> Whoever saw Arsenio last night and heard Sinead singing 'Irish ways and
> Irish laws' now knows what real heart-felt music is all about.

Sorry, I'm still not buying.  Yes, the performance was good as usual
but I'm not buying this bill of goods.  Throwing temper tantrums
because you don't like what other people have to say (which is
basically what the whole grammy brouhaha was about) is just plain
childish.  Sinead is probably sincere but Entertainment Tonight
and Aresenio Hall don't seem as much like effective forums for
bettering the world situation as vehicles for self promotion.

Yes, Sinead has good intentions even though her understanding of the
issues she deals with seems shallow at best (typical of musicians who
delve into political quagmires).  Unfortunately, I think she's gone
adrift in a sea of self-righteousness and arrogance.

Finally, although she is talented, mentioning her in the same sentence
with Kate is a joke.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com