Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Eclectic Music Survey 5 RESULTS now available.

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 91 06:28:59 GMT
Subject: Eclectic Music Survey 5 RESULTS now available.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

The results of the Eclectic Music Survey #5 are now available via
anonymous FTP from vacs.uwp.wisc.edu in the /pub/music/em/surveys and
/pub/music/em/surveys/uncompressed directory. The file you will want to
get is called survey5.all.

If you do not have FTP access, I can mail the results to you. If you
request it via mail, it will be sent in 16 parts. The total results are
approximately 320K.

As a teaser, here is the part about our beloved KaTe:

Kate Bush
     I suppose my attitude about Kate Bush might best be
     exemplified by the fact that I consider her not just a
     songwriter but a composer. Some of the most imaginative,
     thought-provoking and just plain *good* music I've ever heard.
     She just gets better and better. She doesn't just use her
     voice as a voice; it is every bit as much an instrument as her
     Fairlight. Some of the sounds she makes, therefore, turn some
     people off, but not me. The well of Kate Bush's inspiration
     will never run dry. She really is, you know! :-)
          -- (Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik)
          <amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>

     The scariest song is "Under Ice" on _Hounds of Love_ (one of
     the great albums of the 80's). Play it loud. Also highly
     recommended are _The Dreaming_, a good and raw album (play it
     loud), and _Never Forever_ which has a good selection of
     really good songs, especially "Egypt" and "Breathing". Two
     videos worth checking out are "This Woman's Work" and
     "Experiment IV".
          -- (John M. Relph) <relph@presto.ig.com>

     Net-ravings aside, a friend of mine recently said that he had
     heard that Kate is into drugs. My response -- if this be
     drugs, then let me at 'em. _The Dreaming_ is the kind of work
     that takes many many listenings to understand -- and with each
     listening, a new appreciation, and a greater enjoyment. But if
     you're not into that kind of dedication, you can enjoy other
     Kate works on other levels. She can be simply and
     straightforwardly beautiful, just a piano and a voice -- or
     she can tantalize you with her weirdness and then bonk you
     over the head with all manner of neat chords and changes. The
     Love-hounds aren't barking up the wrong tree; if you haven't
     already, check her out!
          -- (Tony Shepps) <toad@cellar.uucp>

     An incredible singer/writer/composer/ dancer/producer/
     director/etc. Her albums are all incredible. My personal
     favorite is The Dreaming, which I play back to back often - no
     filler material here! The music stands easily on its own and
     she is also a fascinating person to watch - videos and concert
     - wow. One of my favorites.
          -- (Michael Graham) <graham@ug.cs.dal.ca>

     Probably the wrong place to say this, but WAY overrated. She
     has talent, yes, but her voice is somehow hardly ever quite
     right. And I can NEVER forgive her for ruining Peter Gabriel's
     "Don't give up".
          -- (Greg Tzeutschler) <GGTZEUTSCHLE@AMHERST.BITNET)

     Now, I know I've heard that name somewhere before. Kate
     Bush... Um, yes, I know. She's God.
          -- (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

     get The Dreaming
          -- (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

     Hehehehe. Now what can I say that'll really whip the Bushies
     into a killing frenzy? Experience seems to suggest that
     anything short of total worship will result in my being beaten
     to death with _This Womans Work_. How about if I just told the
     truth and said that I don't like her voice?
          -- (Al Crawford) <awrc@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk>

     Mozart is God. Kate Bush is the Goddess. Does that answer your
     question? :-)
          -- (Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik)
          <amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>

     Incredible voice; ethereal, smooth and warm. Her songs invoke
     an a vast array of images and really take me to another place.
     Very moving music. Started out with her greatest hits CD _The
     Whole Story_ and have since purchased _Hounds Of Love_ and
     _The Sensual World_ as well as _The Dreaming_. Her music is
     constantly changing and keeps things interesting, but as long
     as her voice stays as beautiful as it is, I'll always be a
     fan. Wow! Best album: _Hounds Of Love_.
          -- <alchemy!bbs@ucrmath.ucr.edu>

     "Hounds of Love"...well crafted music, blend of instruments...
          -- (Slender Fungus) <kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com>

     She silply has the best female voice around. Her style of
     music is all her own, and she practically saved Gabriel's
     "Dont Give up" from being too silly. She blows away all her
     competition in song-writing, friendliness to her fans, ability
     to produce and engineer her own albums, and ability to convey
     emotions to the listener. The first album is a great start
     "The Kick inside," but watch for Bootlegs, you buy one, you'll
     buy them all, which get's expensive. She goes over much better
     with women, who can pick up on the vibes easier. If you like
     Aerosmith, most likely you won't get into this stuff, which
     sometimes is damned etheral...
          -- (Gooch) <houghge@expert.cc.purdue.edu>

Kate Bush & David Gilmour
     I guess that Gilmour was instrumental (no pun intended) in
     getting Kate signed to EMI after hearing some demos. He has
     played guitar on at least one of her songs "Love and Anger".
     Probably more, but I am not certain.
          -- (Michael Graham) <graham@ug.cs.dal.ca>

     One half guitarist and one half goddess. :-)
          -- (Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik)
          <amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>

--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.edu [....uwm!uwpvacs!datta] Are you a lemming?
Lemmings jump off cliffs every four years. There are no five year old