Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

> Vicki:  thankythankyouthankyouthankyou.  I know I've said that to you
> before, especially wrt Happy (I was one of the luckies early enough on
> the SiG - 118 mailing to get copies).  I finally got around to ordering
> the four Happy Rhodes tapes from AG, and they've just arrived!

You're welcome!!!

> a) the leaflets credit Happy with the cover art.  One of the photos looks
> like it may just be a massively unfocused close-up of a face.  The other
> three appear to be paintings.  Am I to assume that Happy is a visual artist
> as well--did she paint these?  (I particularly like the _Vol. I_ cover)

Yes, she painted the covers of Vol. I & II. Yes, Rearmament is a photo. It's
Happy. I think Ecto is a photo too, I can't remember the details about it.
I & II are "demons that lurk."

> c) Has anybody ever taken the time to transcribe any of the lyrics?  Over
> the summer I did "Don't Want to Hear It" (there were a couple of words I
> couldn't figure) and "Ode" and I think I may have done another one or
> two.

Happy sent me the lyrics to Ecto but has never herself sat down and trans-
cribed the lyrics of the first three. I've never done it myself. It needs
to be done because on so many songs there are so many voices that it's
hard to pick out lyrics. Anyone who's willing to help work on it? We
could get them to a point where we only have a few words missing and I
could send a semi-final version to Happy for her to finish up. She'd be
willing to do that.

> For those not interested:  You should be.  Happy Rhodes is not to be
> missed. I know it's been posted before, but, hell, another testimonial
> won't hurt.

> The address to order the tapes is:

>    Aural Gratification
>    Box 8658 Academy Station
>    Albany, NY  12208

> The four albums (_Rhodes Volumes I and II_, _Rearmament_, and _Ecto_) are
> $9.95 each, postage is 1.50; add 7% sales tax if you're in NY.

Thanks for posting this. I'm so glad you like her.

I'm so pleased when anyone is interested in Happy! She'll be thrilled to
hear from any Love-Hounds. She really needs and welcomes any support. She's
working on the new album and who knows where it will go. It may get her recognition but then again it might not. She once told me that she'd make
music even if she never sold another album (because it's in her blood and
it's very important to her) but when she does get support it helps to know
that there's someone out there that appreciates what she's doing.

Remember that your money contributes to rent, food, household costs.
The last time I talked to Happy she said that she'd gotten two replies
from the previous time I posted, and joked " now we can buy groceries". I
doubt it was a joke though. They've had to work the past few years to
save up the money to record the album they're working on now and are
probably scrimping to be able to finish it. EVERYthings coming out of
their pockets and it's got to be tough for them. Anyway, I _KNOW_ you'll
enjoy the tapes. I've listened to them hundreds of times and I never get
tired of them. They're just excellent....what else can I say? The
technical quality is not slick or polished but amazing considering that
she made them on the thinnest of shoestring budgets. When you listen, don't
forget what I said...that everything you hear is 100% Happy. She was all
alone in the studio during the recording of all 63 songs. She's amazing.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for being interested and willing to spend
money on them. When you get them, after you've listened to them quite a
bit, please post something. There will come a time when they won't be
available anymore and so people should get them while they can.

mjm writes:

> Now, who is this Kevin Bartlett guy who seems to be the co-artist of
> aural grat?

Kevin Bartlett is Happy's live-in love. He's a musician and an extremely
nice fellow.

footah writes:

> 1)  any of you happy rhodes fans have an opinion on kevin bartlett's
> tapes?  he included a nice note with the aural gratification catalog,
> and his stuff seems to be home-studio style synth doodling, which can be
> either wonderfully unique or dreadfully tedious, in general.  i haven't
> heard any of mr. bartlett's stuff -- since it is a bit more expensive than
> ms. rhodes i thought i'd solicit some opinions before sending my money
> off...

It's sort of Mark Isham-ish. I'm afraid anything I say might get back to
Happy so I have to be careful here. His music is much more complex than
Happys, but not anywhere near as original.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com