Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

> I receieved the Happy Rhodes collection a couple weeks back and I've
> been absorbing it slowly.... Given In is my personal favorite (esp. when
> she says she tries to keep on top of every one of them)

This is one of her "healing songs" ("Ode" being another important one)
that she wrote to calm her fears and achieve a balance between her mental
pain and her desire for normalacy. Happy had a very rough childhood and
adolescence. She had very serious mental/emotional problems quite a few
years ago. She "wrote out" her demons and set the poems to music. If
many of her songs seems very dark and depressing, that's why. Knowing
that most of her songs are autobiographical, the lyrics take on new
dimensions and lyrics such as "I'm on my way to the funnyfarm...and when
I go I'll be efficent at making ashtrays" are chilling. She actually KNEW
the character in "Off From Out From Under Me" and "Asylum Master" (both
songs speak of the same person) and his utter, complete and incurable
madness helped her to realize that she could be like him if she let herself
go...if she failed to help herself get well. Those healing songs are more
than they appear. They were instrumental in Happy's mental recovery. I
think Happy's songs should be studied in psychology classes. If she ever
gave up music she could lecture on personal psychiatry. Btw, she's fine
now...she rescued herself from the brink of madness and lived to tell
the tale...in her songs. Those 4 tapes are the work of a genius.

> She certainly is at least as good as alot of the other crap out there.

I assume this didn't come out the way you intended. I forgive you. :-)