Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

A while back, before the wonderful revelations at the KovenTion, I was
speculating as to why someone who so obviously enjoyed performing as
the Kate that we see in those last few minutes of the Hammersmith show
would avoid live performances for so long.  It seemed to me that
somewhere along the line she developed an industrial strength case of
stage fright.

> While viewing this the other day I was reminded of the discussion
> about which version of "Wuthering Heights" was the best -- the
> one on _The Kick Inside_ or the one on _The Whole Story_.  Well,
> I've now decided that I like the _Live at Hammersmith_ version
> best of all!

Generally I think we should consider the Hammersmith version of all of
the early songs to be definitive.  Kate could do whatever she liked
with those versions while Andrew Powell had his hands all over the
first two albums.   Unfortunately, the live version of _Wuthering
Heights_ suffers from it's position at the end of the live set.  By
that time Kate is obviously straining to reach notes that she normally
tackles with ease.

I wonder whether Kate's original vision of _James and the Cold Gun_
included the instrumental portion that she added for the live show.
I love it even when I can't see her slinking about and blasting bad
guys!

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com