Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wilson Phillips and sincere sentiments

From: duane@ebay.sun.com (Duane Day)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 10:49:54 PST
Subject: Wilson Phillips and sincere sentiments

Richard Caldwell:
>You know what makes me puke?  A holier than thou attitude.  Where does
>she [Sinead] get off maligning _Wilson Phillips_?  No, it's not particularly
>sophisticated in it's concepts but are their sentiments any less
>sincere than O'Conner's?

Funny you should ask.  Calling someone "baby" a couple of hundred times
in the course of a song in which you also tell them "you know you're
a waste of time for me" is *far* from sincere, in my book.  (This is
from the Wilson Phillips song which I assume is called "Release Me"
or something similar.  I have no idea whether or not any of them were
involved in writing the song, of course, so they probably shouldn't
be blamed too much for any insincerity found therein.  I suppose.)

Great harmonies, though, and Richard's larger point was well-taken.