Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sinead O'Connor won't appear at Grammys

From: dbk@tove.cs.umd.edu (Dan Kozak)
Date: 5 Feb 91 16:33:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Sinead O'Connor won't appear at Grammys
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@mimsy.umd.edu

In article <1991Feb5.054851.8847@cbnews.att.com> nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:
>I've lost what little respect I still had for Sinead O'Connor.
>I support her desire to stand up for what she believes in but every
>time she opens her mouth she just seems to prove how clueless she
>really is.

Right on, Richard!

>  "A world war is on because we care about material success, and here
>  we are rewarding it in the music industry."

I don't know anymore than the average Joe (even living in Washington) but
I have yet to figure out why Politically Correct people always assume that
everything is done for money.  Perhaps it's a Marxist thang, and I wouldn't
(want to) understand. :-)  It seems equally plausible to me that alot of
the rhetoric (i.e. we must put a stop to aggressive behaviour, etc.) is
genuine.  Not to say that there is _no_ economic component, but is that such
a bad thing?  Strangely enough, one of the flyers I was handed by anti-war
activists (before hostilities commenced) had, among a list of reasons why one
should oppose a war in the Gulf, that "experts say that if there is a war
in the Gulf that gas may reach $3 to $5 a gallon at the pump" (as if it were
going to remain the same in the absence of a war, had they been to the pump
lately?).  In big letters at the bottom of the page it said (see, I _do_ read
this stuff :-) "NO BLOOD FOR OIL."  Is it just me, or is there a contradiction
here?

>  "It's a frightening prospect that the _Wilson Phillips_ album was
>  declared one of the year's best artistic works.  That wasn't decided
>  on how it has healed or inspired the human race, but on how many
>  copies it sold.  That just makes me puke."

>You know what makes me puke?  A holier than thou attitude.  Where does
>she get off maligning _Wilson Phillips_?

Or Aerosmith, or (now) Prince, or "The Star Spangled Banner" or whatever . . .

>  "There isn't any amount of money that's worth sacrificing the truth
>  for, I'd rather starve than keep quiet."

>Wonderful, I wouldn't want it any other way.  People like Sinead do as
>much harm to their cause as good.  She talks but nothing comes out.

Couldn't have put it better.  It really is too bad when someone with so
much raw talent gets sidetracked into such silly avenues.

#dan

Clever:         dbk@cs.umd.edu    | "Softly her tower crumbled in the
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  sweet silent sun." - Nabokov