Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Distortion on Lionheart CD

From: kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 01:17:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Distortion on Lionheart CD
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <21143@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:

>OK, this is the third attempt to post this message - i hope that now that
>the transition is complete this one will get through.
>
>I have noticed on my copy of the Lionheart compact disk that there are
>several places in which there is fairly severe distortion of the music.
>The crescendo at about 1:30 into Peter Pan is a particulary good example.
>I bought a new copy of the CD and it was bad as well, as was another one
>the folks at the record store replaced it with.  A friend of mine has a copy
>which is perfectly clean and plays clean on my system, which is the system
>I noticed the garbage on my copy.  Has anybody else noticed the distortion
>on the Lionheart CD and does anybody know why there appear to be some goo
>pressings and some bad ones.  It sounds like some recording engineer let a
>channel overload during mixdown.
>
>- tom willett
>  gt4586c@prism.gatech.edu

it has been my experience that the domestic (read U.S. pressing) of many
CD's appear to be of inferior quality. When I got the boxed set and heard
the import of TSW, it blew the domestic pressing out the window and around
the block! This is also the case with Peter Gabriel's Security disk. It
is very possible that you have discovered yet another case of this. I
have yet to find out the reasons for it, although I have speculated that
it is either the U.S. manufacturers cutting corners or they are
not using the original masters when mastering (there is actually tape hiss
on 'Wallflower' on Gabriel's Security. It is a digitally recorded album.
You figure it out...).

Does anyone else have anything to add to this? I really would like to
know!

kevin

Kevin Kinsey              |"honey, i want words and i want some touch and maybe
UCNS                      | that's a bit too much for someone so far removed
University of Georgia     | from what you used to claim. you can be cruel, i'll
Athens, GA                | still be kind, you know i've got it in my mind i'm
kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu  | in love with you and i'm not gonna play your games."
st19@uga.cc.uga.edu       |		- 'Rock & Roll' Amy Ray