Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Critic Looks at Kate's Videos ...

From: taff@saturn.ucsc.edu (Thomas Affinito)
Date: 2 Feb 91 12:47:30 GMT
Subject: Re: A Critic Looks at Kate's Videos ...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@darkstar.ucsc.edu

In article <2770001@hp-vcd.HP.COM> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: neff@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (Dave Neff)

>"Live at the Hamersmith Odeon" is even less satisfying, since she
>doesn't do "Babooshka" (the discs only share three numbers) and there
>are no pieces which stand out.  Bush has a microphone suspended in front
>of her mouth like an orthodontal retainer and generally goes through the
>same costume changes and exaggerated movements ('choreography') that
>she did on her videos.
>

>Oh well, don't be too hard on Douglas Pratt.  After all, he is
>a critic, and he can't be all bad since he liked "Babooshka". :-).  You

OK, I won't be too hard. I'll be fair.

Douglas Pratt, you are an idiot.  You fail to display any comments
indicative of a critical knowledge of Kate's relation to the history
of concert performances, concert technology, filmic history, or
audio technique.  Thus your comments are personal impressions whose
merit can only be found in the listings of banality which you
undoubtedly must contribute to.

The value of your verbiage as ahistorical aesthetic critique is also
counterfeit, as you clearly have judged the given performance on the
sole criteria of whether or not a particular favorite song of yours
was sung in it.  This deficient view is made all the more meaningless
when you fail even to discuss why this particular song IS a favorite.

Perhaps having ONE favorite song from the corpus kateus is the most
telling compass of the breadth of your sensitivity.

--------

Of course, Dave I think you've tricked me by posting this review...
it is just "Prattle" right?

-------

tom affinito
[One posting to love hounds every six years is enough for this mortal
flesh]
[BTW: I believe Doug and IED are most correct when they are in disagreement.]

She Really Is.