Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What gifs?

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 00:21:46 -0500
Subject: Re: What gifs?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Tom Willett asks about getting some of the GIFs to display on his Mac.
I happened to spend several hours in a Mac lab on campus last night working
this out for myself, so perhaps this will help...

First off, GIF files are binary.  Not MacBinary, but binary.  When you FTP
from gaffa.mit.edu (at least 'til our new pseudo-moderator gets set up),
make sure you set binary on FTP (by typing "binary [CR]".  When you download
to your mac, again, you need to use binary, but not MacBinary.

I was working solely by FTP last night, and don't know too much about
Mac telecomm software (I have a MacPlus emulator that works surprisingly
well; I had no problems displaying GIFs with Gif-Converter on it), but
the key is in making sure you use true binary and not macbinary.

That's really all there is to it...

Jeff

(who, by the way, posted an ARC of KaTe samples at gaffa.mit.edu; I put
it in gif.new because I had no idea where else would be appropriate.  They're
8-bit linear samples, ranging between 10 and 31kHz)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |