Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gulf

From: **Love-Hound** <sre017%cck.cov.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 11:52:57 GMT
Subject: Gulf

I thought you may be interested in this snippet from the 'Daily Mirror' this
morning:
    Bad Taste Discs Are Silenced
'Britain's radio stations shelved songs with war themes yesterday out of respect
for troops and their families.Radio One chiefs said they would not be playing
any songs with "inappropriate " lyrics.
And music controllers across the country followed suit.David Bowen,a DJ on
Bournemouth's Two Counties Radio,revealed he was given 30 examples of discs to
be avoided.They include the Bee Gees hit Staying Alive,Queen's Another One Bites
 The
Dust and Army Dreamers  by Kate Bush.
Edwin Starr's War,Duran Duran's View To A Kill,Spandau Ballet's Through The
Barricades and Billy Joel's We Didn't Start The Fire are also on the banned
list
Radio One have silenced the sound of gunfire on the KLF single,3am Eternal.A
spokesman said:"We are being as sensitive and careful as we can."   '

           Andy Semple      sre017@uk.ac.cov.cck