Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Irish recommendations (was: pogues)

From: fnord@spdcc.com (Dan Schaeffer)
Date: 11 Jan 91 23:09:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Irish recommendations (was: pogues)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2787.278db0c0@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: abvax!iccgcc.DNET!lieser@uunet.UU.NET
>

>In article <XyDLV3w163w@kk4fs.UUCP>, Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>> Really-From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
>>
>> While I'm on the subject, can anyone recommend any good Irish bands?
>> My sister has a CD by Kornog, and a cassette by Relativity...

I might suggest a band called The Men They Couldn't Hang (TMTCH), who have a
sound similar to that of The Pogues (or Pogues).  They have two albums that I
have seen: Silvertown and The Domino Club.  I would say their sound is close
to Pogues' sound, but comes across less angry.  Some of their lyrics deal with
serious issues, others are tender ballads.  Like Pogues, they are a large band,
with at least six core members and a variety of other "satellite" players.
I really like their stuff (though I prefer the earlier album, Silvertown).

D. J. Schaeffer
"'The Todal looks like a blob of glup.
  It makes a sound like rabbits screaming,
  and smells of old, unopened rooms.'"
[fnord@ursa-major.spdcc.com]