Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Irish recommendations (was: pogues)

From: abvax!iccgcc.DNET!lieser@uunet.UU.NET
Date: 11 Jan 91 17:34:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Irish recommendations (was: pogues)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <XyDLV3w163w@kk4fs.UUCP>, Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
>
> While I'm on the subject, can anyone recommend any good Irish bands?
> My sister has a CD by Kornog, and a cassette by Relativity...

Will Scottish do?  A band called "Capercaillie" is really great.  Their
female vocalist, Karen Matheson, has a beautiful voice.  They have two
albums out that I know of - "Crosswinds" and "Sidewaulk".

The Bothy Band was the predecessor of Relativity, and Triona (I won't
try her last name) sang for them, too.  They have at least half a dozen
releases.

"De Dannan" (or De Danaan - I think I've seen it both ways) is quite
good, also.

As for bands without female vocalists, Silly Wizard, Tannahill Weavers,
and any band with Phil Cunningham are good bets.

All of these are available from Green Linnet Records in (I think) New
Canaan, CT.  They put out a catalog with pretty accurate descriptions
of the stuff they're selling.

Ed Lieser		Allen-Bradley Co., Cleveland, Ohio