Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Crash Vegas

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 18:09:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Crash Vegas
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Ed writes...

>> Amy asks for recommendations of albums by:

>>   Pogues
>
>"If I Should Fall From Grace With God" is a good album, and I've seen a
>review or two that rated it as their best.  Haven't heard "Hell's Ditch"
>yet, though.  Some of their earlier stuff is available only as imports
>anyway, so you'd be saving some money to start with one of these...

I've got the last 4 Pogues albums in one form or another...they are:

"Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash" which is fantastic and features...
   oh, piffle, can't remember her name, a woman on bass and occasional
   vocals (she sings lead on the song "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday"
   which is particularly ironic)

"If I Should Fall From Grace With God" is also fantastic

"Peace and Love" is rather mediocre, I thought; it has a few good songs
  ("White City" and "Young Ned of the Hill" spring to mind), but overall
  it was a disappointing album.

[a few months ago, an EP was released called "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah"
 which I thought was okay but not great; it does have a neat cover of
 "Honky Tonk Woman" on it, though]

"Hell's Ditch" is yet another great album; I was a little worried that after
  "Peace and Love" it would be all down hill (much like Big Country), but it
  seems that The Pogues have gotten back in shape, Shane MacGowan has gotten
  drunk, and things are generally back to normal.

I know there are some earlier albums; I've seen two ("The Pogues" and
"Poguetry in Motion"), but stupid me, I didn't buy the CD's when I had
the chance.  I haven't heard anything other than what's listed above
(and the song that the Pogues did with Kristy McColl on the Red Hot + Blue
album).

Does anybody know why The Pogues are apparently just calling themselves
"Pogues" now?

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |